Current COVID/masking in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mea culpa but we’re straying from Coz once again.

Well it is a little topical. Apparently Coz may started testing workers or checking vaccination cards in the hospitality industries. If you want to clean rooms or sling hash, you may need to prove vaccination or get tested constantly.

Also, there is a theme, most by expats living on the island, complaining about tourists coming and making people sick on the island. Like point the finger at the outsiders. Of course the expats aren't starving when tourism shuts down.

I am looking at going in the next week with my wife and two kids. How bad is it right now as far as Covid. Looking to get some diving in and hang out around the resort.

I’ve read through most of the thread and it quickly derailed. Thanks.

I listen to talk shows on the road to kill the boredom of driving, and some of them can be so ridiculous. I'm glad that I got my Moderna, then got the kids to get theirs. I visited Roatan this month with my vac-card, but got tested before leaving here just in case. I'll get tested before going to Cozumel next month just to be sure.

I am looking at going in the next week with my wife and two kids. How bad is it right now as far as Covid. Looking to get some diving in and hang out around the resort.

I’ve read through most of the thread and it quickly derailed. Thanks.

It can be done relatively safely depending upon the layout of the resort and how you choose to spend your vacation. Your closest contact with locals will probably be on van ride to/from the airport if you aren’t renting a car. I would think about a private shutttle and leaving the windows partly down if you don’t want to fool with a rental. Obviously if you like getting massages at the resort that is pretty high risk also (one hour of close contact pretty well means if your therapist has it you will get it )

You can manage your risk with the tourists at resort like you do in the states. If you spend a bunch of time in close contact with others at pool bar, dining indoors, send kids to hotel camp, etc there is plenty of risk to be found from the other tourists. If you are mostly on the beach keeping to yourselves risk is pretty low. Dive boats (especially small boats with no cabin ) are super high air flow—not zero risk but fairly low.

No clear answer , but those are my thoughts

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

There have been a number of reports made to moderators about this thread (again). As long as the comments pertain directly to Cozumel, we have decided against moderating. However, if it drifts over to covid generally - or what is happening in the U.S., CDC, Dr. Fauci, etc. etc. - then posts will be deleted or moved to general travel discussions. Please govern yourselves accordingly. Marg

You have to ask what is the most important: health or income?
Non fully vaccinated outsiders should not be allowed in.

Well, I dont know if that can apply to Cozumel. Cozumel's vaccination rate is much lower than the foreign tourists. As a group, its safer to be around the tourists than the locals. Of course Cozumel is also a national tourist destination. Assumedly those tourists aren't well vaccinated yet either.

I personally have to objection to requiring vaccination to enter, I just don't think Cozumel or Mexico is up for that sort of thing. Pesos talk.

I was digging for data and found this from Reuters. Seems a little bad, but of course its the entire country. And its not just the case count which is shocking, but you could poo poo as more testing. There is a distinct up turn in the deaths too. Interesting to see if that follows along.

I was sort of thinking they might vaccinated there way out of it; their program at least in Cozumel seems strong, but to quote:

"Mexico has administered at least 59,580,006 doses of COVID vaccines so far. Assuming every person needs 2 doses, that’s enough to have vaccinated about 23.4% of the country’s population."

"During the last week reported, Mexico averaged about 607,132 doses administered each day. At that rate, it will take a further 43 days to administer enough doses for another 10% of the population."

Mexico: the latest coronavirus counts, charts and maps

As reported by the Gov. Cozumel is in the north zone.

Governor Carlos Joaquin reported that in recent weeks, there has been an increase in the number of contagion cases, hospital occupation and the number of people who require intensive care.
He called for not to let his guard down and let's comply with sanitary measures. He urged to be responsible and solidarity citizens.
From July 26th to August 1th next, the Epidemiological Semaphore is kept orange for the entire state.
In the southern region, the contagion rate is at 0.97, with 18 % in hospital occupation and 50 % in beds with ventilators.
In the north region, the contagion rate is at 1.18, with 51 % in hospital occupation.

I personally have to objection to requiring vaccination to enter, I just don't think Cozumel or Mexico is up for that sort of thing. Pesos talk.
Honduras requires a recent negative test or vac-card. It might be hurting business, but it's better for disease control.

Honduras requires a recent negative test or vac-card. It might be hurting business, but it's better for disease control.

Sure, but no matter how the expats yell, I think Cozumel's problem is local community spread. Its not coming out of the foreign tourist group that has a relatively high vax rate. Not to say that a negative test might not prevent a case or two, but its like putting up a no smoking sign on your restaurant to prevent fire while the kitchen is going up in flames.

I think Cozumel's problem is local community spread.

Yes. Had an extensive conversation with a local last week, (a civil engineer), whose sister contracted covid. They're certain that she got it at a "super spreader" event; She'd volunteered to help out with the elections. Guess there was a huge spike xx days afterward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom