Cayman possible border reopening without quarantine by April or May!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone else notice that great $999 special on Cayman Aggressor? I just got off phone w AA. They plan to resume flights to GCM Sept 9. The Aggressor special ends Sept 4. :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

Save your money. Unless you’re VERIFIED vaccinated and prepared to spend 5 days in quarantine. And the Caymans are 80% vaccinated.

I reckon the Jets have a better chance of going undefeated this season and winning the Superbowl in a blowout.

Anyone else notice that great $999 special on Cayman Aggressor? I just got off phone w AA. They plan to resume flights to GCM Sept 9. The Aggressor special ends Sept 4. :shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:
American and Aggressor are two companies in which I have very little confidence.
Combining the two is double jeopardy.

The Caymans have set a bunch of tentative dates to reopen over the last 14 months or so, and they haven’t met a single one of them to my knowledge. I would be wary of booking anything based on any of their tentative schedule.

The $999 special was put out by them as an incentive to get Cayman residents to book, just so they could keep the boat running in some capacity, and the crew could make a few $$ in tips.

As I've said many times before - do not believe your air carrier as a sign of when Cayman will open. The Deputy Governor here has to approve all incoming flights to the Cayman Islands. You also need permission from Travel Cayman before you can book. Phase 3 (visitor phase) of the Cayman reopening plan doesn't kick in until October, and only if we hit 80% of the population vaccinated, which is dubious at best. When flights with visitors do resume it will 100% be Cayman Airways until the demand resumes.

That said, there are some signs of hope. AL Thompson's is one of the larger employers here and just declared all employees need to be vaccinated to work there. Government will announce that all work permit holders need to be vaccinated.

Tony

There is an interesting article in the Cayman Compass that refers to "Verifiable Vaccinations". I hope the hospital system where I was vaccinated will subscribe to the SMART Health Card system and the CommonTrust Network. I got my vaccines in January, way before Walmart and CVS offered them.

Link to article:

Issuers who use SMART Health Cards and are a part of the CommonTrust Network. This includes North American issuers, such as: Walmart Pharmacy Sam’s Club Pharmacy State of California State of Louisiana UC San Diego Health CVS Health UC Health Vaccination records from EU member states and other countries that meet the EU Digital COVID Certificate standard.
  • Issuers who use SMART Health Cards and are a part of the CommonTrust Network. This includes North American issuers, such as:
    • Walmart Pharmacy
    • Sam’s Club Pharmacy
    • State of California
    • State of Louisiana
    • UC San Diego Health
    • CVS Health
    • UC Health
  • Vaccination records from EU member states and other countries that meet the EU Digital COVID Certificate standard.

There is an interesting article in the Cayman Compass that refers to "Verifiable Vaccinations". I hope the hospital system where I was vaccinated will subscribe to the SMART Health Card system and the CommonTrust Network. I got my vaccines in January, way before Walmart and CVS offered them.

Link to article:

Issuers who use SMART Health Cards and are a part of the CommonTrust Network. This includes North American issuers, such as: Walmart Pharmacy Sam’s Club Pharmacy State of California State of Louisiana UC San Diego Health CVS Health UC Health Vaccination records from EU member states and other countries that meet the EU Digital COVID Certificate standard.
  • Issuers who use SMART Health Cards and are a part of the CommonTrust Network. This includes North American issuers, such as:
    • Walmart Pharmacy
    • Sam’s Club Pharmacy
    • State of California
    • State of Louisiana
    • UC San Diego Health
    • CVS Health
    • UC Health
  • Vaccination records from EU member states and other countries that meet the EU Digital COVID Certificate standard.
Great - so only those who got vaccinated at these places are OK? The rest of us early takers in places like NJ are out? Cayman is slowly dropping off of my radar of places I want to go back to anytime soon... which is sad as it's my most visted location and where I've logged the most dives. Along with the overdevelopment/traffic issues I was starting to see, this re-opening approach and the Stony Coral Tissue Loss Disease progression around the island has definitely lessened it's appeal.

State of New York just announced that they have expanded their Excelsior Pass program to include SMART Health Cards. This means that all residents of New York State should be fine, too. I'm sure other states will be following. I already signed up and got my QR code, so when Cayman opens up to no quarantine, I will be there!

Looking at the SMART Health Card site, we can add the following to the list:
  • Province of Ontario
  • MaineHealth
  • North Carolina Department of Health and Social Service
There are just shy of 300 entities that are signed up to this service. You can see more at VCI

If your state or organization isn't on this list, I would recommend contacting them to find out what their plans are.

I am hoping that The Cayman Islands also include the CLEAR Digital Vaccine Card as it includes many more US health care systems. I've got my CLEAR Vaccine Card at their highest level of verification. My health system and state do not yet offer the SMART Health Card. I was an early vaccine recipient through a hospital but my booster will be from CVS as they support SMART.

State of New York just announced that they have expanded their Excelsior Pass program to include SMART Health Cards. This means that all residents of New York State should be fine, too. I'm sure other states will be following. I already signed up and got my QR code, so when Cayman opens up to no quarantine, I will be there!

Looking at the SMART Health Card site, we can add the following to the list:
  • Province of Ontario
  • MaineHealth
  • North Carolina Department of Health and Social Service
There are just shy of 300 entities that are signed up to this service. You can see more at VCI

If your state or organization isn't on this list, I would recommend contacting them to find out what their plans are.
Strike Province of Ontario from your list.

While the Ministry of Health is a member of VCI that does not mean that Ontario residents will be able to have a SMART covid passport. Quite the opposite is the premier's current position. No covid passport for Ontario.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom