F×<[$%> weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have switched from Wednesday to Thursday morning because I got a job interview lined up for Wednesday morning.

Whatever you now how to reach me. Good luck with the interview!

I have switched from Wednesday to Thursday morning because I got a job interview lined up for Wednesday morning.

By the way @Bubblesong you should consider using a necklace on your primary, you'd still have your second stage if you did. I've used one my entire diving experience and am glad now and then that I do.

By the way @Bubblesong you should consider using a necklace on your primary, you'd still have your second stage if you did. I've used one my entire diving experience and am glad now and then that I do.
You are so right, plus I bought a necklace just had not yet put it in my dive bag! I still had both second and octopus on longer hoses so I hadn’t thought of using it until i got shorter hose.

The hose blew off the second stage.
About 3/4 through our circuit of the cove I felt a BANG, and the bubble frothing, thought I got hit by something, noticed I could not get air from second stage, thought hose was cut, switched to octopus, and breathed ok, signaled to buddy and ascended with hand up and looked for a boat, but there was none around. My buddy shut off tank air, and I saw the hose had only disconnected, not broken, but by then I had unconsciously dropped the second stage in the weeds. I surface swam back to boat ramp without bothering to look for it due to viz and lack of appropriate gear. My buddy looked a couple minutes but the weeds are deep there.
So now it has become a “Quest” and I will go look for it.
I had the same question. Interesting. Thanks for sharing. Hope you find it. Lets us know as I hope to dive FW in the next week.. TK

Well yesterday was a fine day! I went to FTW in the afternoon there were a few divers and lots of yaks and paddle boards. I got the only shady spot and geared up. @Bubblesong it is going to be a very long and difficult search. The ell grass is very thick as you posted. This causes the grass to wrap around the metal detector and my arm when I try to sweep from side to side. So as a result I'll only be able to cover 4" at a time! We need to be very lucky and determined.

I don't know how badly you want to find this 2ndstage but be ready to spend sometime in the water.
If you have more than one tank bring'em. I'll fill a few today.

I'll post a dive report in a new post but the vis was a surprising 8'-10' @ 20FSW and the temp @same was 71F. I think it's tropicals time!

Can you provide a better description of where you think you dropped it? Hope to go out Fri Am. I also let my local dive shop know as well in case someone comes across it. TK

I looked at Windy.com, and Friday and Saturday have higher waves, so now I’m looking at Sunday as best weather.
This is not an expensive item, so I’m looking more for the fun of the hunt, so Not going to risk Saturday 3foot waves. The weather keeps changing of course.
I dropped it within a few feet of the tip of second protuberance of rock that sticks into the middle of right side of cove. There are big boulders on bottom that it could fall between, plus the weeds.
On a high wave or surfy day, a diver could get pushed into the rocks by a strong wind or wave action, so it is safer to wait for calmest conditions.
Thank you @AfterDark and @tkaelin for advice and help!

I looked at Windy.com, and Friday and Saturday have higher waves, so now I’m looking at Sunday as best weather.
This is not an expensive item, so I’m looking more for the fun of the hunt, so Not going to risk Saturday 3foot waves. The weather keeps changing of course.
I dropped it within a few feet of the tip of second protuberance of rock that sticks into the middle of left side of cove. There are big boulders on bottom that it could fall between, plus the weeds.
On a high wave or surfy day, a diver could get pushed into the rocks by a strong wind or wave action, so it is safer to wait for calmest conditions.
Thank you @AfterDark and @tkaelin for advice and help!

Oh I thought Thursday was the day. I was in that same area yesterday but since I didn't remember you mentioning that it may have went between the rocks so I didn't look there. I did give the edge of the weed area near there a good look. The detector had a weak battery and kept turning off after a minute or so, most of the search was eyeball. I'll be going back soon with fresh batteries and I'll go over that area. I'm curious if the detector can find it. I did inquire with a couple of divers if they saw/found a 2ndstage, no luck.

DEEP6, right next to round end point of protuberant rocks of middle of right side of cove. That sea bottom is not flat sand but huge boulders with underhangs, and where you see the largest fish, kids cliff jumping, so I doubt the gear will get washed away, but still takes care and time to relocate. Well I wanted some old Deep6 gear for a reg service class, so maybe I’ll have it!

I just remembered this post it's the answer to the brand of regulator and the location of the loss. I realized that the regulator is just living up to it's name it is indeed DEEP6'd.

@Bubblesong which model is it? Some of those 2ndstage look like there isn't very much metal to detect. This one for example:
excursion_second_small_1_2.jpg

What are you seeing for wind on Fri? I thought it was out of the N NW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom