Computers that DON’T revert to air setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the information is readily available to prevent the error, one should not complain when one makes the error.
Right. Tell that to the families of all the pilots who died before the plane manufacturers made a simple design change that eliminated the mistakes.

Any tech diver who says they have never gotten in on a dive and about 4-5 minutes in seen their Shearwater yelling at them for high ppO2 since they forgot to change it back is probably lying....

Yep, done it on a number of occasions... back to the OP, yes Shearwater peregrine fits the bill.

I also use a one button Oceanic as back up to my aging Uwatec Aladin which does not reset unless I changed it.
50% O2 off and I make sure everything is "adjusted" on the diving day not the night before.
I really do not see the logical reason to default to the original manufacturer's setting.
They may have fixed stuff since I got mine. Back nearly 20 years ago there was no turning off the O2 setting. And setting up the computer the day of the dive, you didn't get that much time. You set it up just before you splashed. It might give you an hour between setting and splash. Setting it up before you left the dock wasn't going to work, it would time out.

Keep in mind this was the first affordable computer that had Nitrox compatibility. Not long after Nitrox changed from the devils gas to acceptable, and few places taught it. I saw it as an upcoming way of diving and spent a little more for it. It was many more years later before I actually got certifed in Nitrox. And the computer logged a whopping 10 dives or so. Compared to tables it was amazing. Just use it as an air computer, it was OK. But the Nitrox integration wasn't refined at all.

Sounds like they learned of the faults of early ones like I had and made them a little more forgiving. Nothing compared to a Shearwater. The user interface is so friendly. That would be another reason they have so many fans.

They may have fixed stuff since I got mine. Back nearly 20 years ago there was no turning off the O2 setting. And setting up the computer the day of the dive, you didn't get that much time. You set it up just before you splashed. It might give you an hour between setting and splash. Setting it up before you left the dock wasn't going to work, it would time out.

Keep in mind this was the first affordable computer that had Nitrox compatibility. Not long after Nitrox changed from the devils gas to acceptable, and few places taught it. I saw it as an upcoming way of diving and spent a little more for it. It was many more years later before I actually got certifed in Nitrox. And the computer logged a whopping 10 dives or so. Compared to tables it was amazing. Just use it as an air computer, it was OK. But the Nitrox integration wasn't refined at all.

Sounds like they learned of the faults of early ones like I had and made them a little more forgiving. Nothing compared to a Shearwater. The user interface is so friendly. That would be another reason they have so many fans.
The ancient Oceanic DataPlus indeed reverted to PPO2=50% after a dive. The DataPlus 2 offered the option to turn that idiocy off.
Ranting on Oceanic Computers when they fixed this problem two decades ago seems unfair.

They may have fixed stuff since I got mine. Back nearly 20 years ago there was no turning off the O2 setting.
Oceanic fixed that issue many yrs ago.
Technology has moved ahead and there is such a thing as "firmware". Pretty sure it was NOT available 20+ yrs ago.

Oceanic told me their computers revert to 21 percent oxygen from the gas mix setting you had it at , within an hour of surfacing or making the change. There’s no way to turn that off. Do any brands or models not do that? I know safety reasons.

I don't think that is true all the time. It depends on which Oceanic computer. I have two which I believe were both manufactured by Pelagic Systems:

Aeris 300G - If FO2 default is set to "On": after any dive where FO2>21%, the next dive the computer will automatically default to FO2=50% for O2 calculations and FO2=21% for N2 calculations. i.e. the most conservative possible depth/time setting. If FO2 default is set to "Off": for a repetitive dive the computer maintains the same FO2 set for the previous dive.

Veo 4.0 - If only using 1 gas, FO2 for a repetitive dive is kept the same for a repetitive dive. If using multiple gases (e.g. Gas 1, Gas 2, Gas 3), after 10 mins SI, the computer will automatically default to Gas 1 for the next dive.

If the information is readily available to prevent the error, one should not complain when one makes the error.

Right. Tell that to the families of all the pilots who died before the plane manufacturers made a simple design change that eliminated the mistakes.

Helios flight 522 is an instructive, albeit tragic, example:

I actually think the discussion of location of aircraft controls -- when the dive-computer issue is moot because the issue was corrected two decades ago -- is specious.

Ummm... no.

If the design is so complicated that it is not easy or intuitive to do, the information available to tell you how to do it is irrelevant. It's just a bad design. Think of a door to a retail store with a push bar on the door, but a sign that says "pull," what do you do first?

And that dumb 50% default is just bad design. I think you can turn it off (permanently, not for 24 hours or some other random duration) on most modern computers, but if you can't, don't get that computer. At any price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom