Computers that DON’T revert to air setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ummm...yes.

If you are too lazy to read the user manual and to understand your computer for set up, perhaps these problems will occur. Whose responsibility is that? I have owned Oceanic computers since 2002 and the FiO2 50% could always be turned off, permanently. The question of why this option was offered is another question.

Once the FiO2 is set, it will continue until after the series of dives is interrupted, greater than 24 h SI. If it is set at the surface, for a new series, it will revert to air after 2 hours if no dives are done. It's pretty easy to understand the rules.
'
I've been diving an Oceanic VT3 since 2010, my other computer has been a Teric, for a little over 2 years now. I understand both computers, thanks

Oceanic used to change to 50%. Not air. That was an unpleasant surprise at 60ft. Eventually you could turn that off.
I had an Aeris that did that... It sucked, especially when it started beeping madly during my 2nd dive of the day on the Oriskany. "YER GONNA DIIIIIIEEEEEEEE!!!!!"

Ummm...yes.

If you are too lazy to read the user manual and to understand your computer for set up, perhaps these problems will occur.
Just nope. No "Ummm..." about it. That's bad product design.

Whose responsibility is that?
The engineers who didn't take real users into account when they designed the product.

del

Ummm... no.

If the design is so complicated that it is not easy or intuitive to do, the information available to tell you how to do it is irrelevant. It's just a bad design. Think of a door to a retail store with a push bar on the door, but a sign that says "pull," what do you do first?

And that dumb 50% default is just bad design. I think you can turn it off (permanently, not for 24 hours or some other random duration) on most modern computers, but if you can't, don't get that computer. At any price.
I don't know about other Oceanic's but on Veo 180's, 200's and 250's you can turn it off and it stays off.

If you forget to turn it off it will tell you your O2 is high, but you can still dive it as if you were on air. I can't quite remember why I know this.

Just nope. No "Ummm..." about it. That's bad product design.

The engineers who didn't take real users into account when they designed the product.
If the person will not take the time or thought to set their O2 level for the next dive, do you trust them to make sure their gas is correct in the computer for the second dive?

The 50% O2 default does not make any sense to me.
I set all the parameters in my computers before the dive so nothing bother me. I read the manuals and remember them all.

I have seen on many occasions when divers asking the DM/Guide how to set the computer!!

If the person will not take the time or thought to set their O2 level for the next dive, do you trust them to make sure their gas is correct in the computer for the second dive?
Yes. Because forgetting to set a gas on a computer and actually using the correct gas are different things entirely. The first is a design flaw that requires a user to follow a useless, redundant, and easily forgotten procedure involving button-punching. The second is a required procedure that involves physical labor.

You might want to go back and read post #13.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom