Need help with dive bag/Travel bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So what I'm taking from this so far is that when I travel, just use a regular roller bag so no logo on there says hey I have expensive gear in my bag. But I'm not going to use a travel bag when I go to local dives. Right now I use a large mesh bag that has a throw over the shoulder bag. Fits all my gear for the mean time but lugging it back and forth is a pain. So thats why I was asking for options of bags. So with that in mind, what bag would you recommend?

Go to Costco, buy the big black tub with the yellow lid.
So what I'm taking from this so far is that when I travel, just use a regular roller bag so no logo on there says hey I have expensive gear in my bag. But I'm not going to use a travel bag when I go to local dives. Right now I use a large mesh bag that has a throw over the shoulder bag. Fits all my gear for the mean time but lugging it back and forth is a pain. So thats why I was asking for options of bags. So with that in mind, what bag would you recommend?

I use a Stahlsac Jamaican Smuggler bag. It fits all my gear and it's small enough that I don't have to pay for over size luggage. It has a limited lifetime warranty and it doesn't have any scuba logos.

Attachments

• JAMAICAN_SMUGGLER.png
    JAMAICAN_SMUGGLER.png
    420.4 KB · Views: 104
Do you check the duffle bag? How do you know your regs or BC won't get damaged by the baggage handlers? Do you put your regs in a hard case inside the soft sided bag?
I lined the inside of the bag with old camping mattress and yet to have anything broken(touch wood). Wrap the 2nd stage with couple of T-shirts, 1st stage and spg in socks. The BP on the bottom with the wing on top, fins on each side. Covered with wet suit, change of clothes etc etc. Booties, flip flop smb etc etc on each end and finally tied down with a rope.
No one will ever suspect that scuba equipment is inside the bag.

We travel with a set of Delsey Heliums (two carry on, a large trip, and an extended trip size) and a one-off Tusi Vapor suitcase and absolutely love them. They're all "hard (rigid) sided" 100% polycarbonate external shell, so for the size they are ultra light and all have durable 4-point rollers so you can stuff them full of gear and still get them around without issue. The carry-ons are international standard size, so no issues placing it overhead regardless of where we are headed. Load them up wet and the worst case is you have to open them and let the nylon liner dry out when you get home. No rust. Also very water resistant if it is raining when the plane is being loaded. Just wipe it down with a napkin or towel. There is nothing worse than soaking wet canvas luggage when you're traveling. We've been using this set for 6 years now and they are virtually indestructible. One has a crease on the corner where a handler must have slammed it to the ground, but it popped right out.

In the largest extended trip suitcase, we can pack our two BCDs (Hollis SMS75 and a Hollis LTS), both sets of fins, dive skins, one collapsed mesh divebag, mask, snorkels, and depending on my BC setup, one or two wreck reels. We're consistently 49-51lbs at the skycap stand. (In all our domestic US travels, I have found the skycaps at curbside check in will consistently turn a blind eye up to 55# for a $10 tip if I hold it visibly in my hand so they see it as I put the heavy bag first on the scale for them. Actual ticket counter reps don't seem to have as much of a sense of humor and will make me redistribute everything to within a tenth of a pound.)

I carry three reg sets and computers in a (at my wife's insistence) bright hot pink Stahlsac bag which I then place inside my carryon suitcase along with my DSLR camera bag and laptop on top. If needed I can create space by easily pulling out either the regs or the camera equipment as a "personal item" (or if bin space is full I can pull the regs out and gate check the carryon).
I've seen carbon fiber suitcases that are "super ultralight" that might allow us to squeeze an extra few pounds in, but I have a hard time spending that much for luggage that is designed to get banged up.

I shove my wing inside my wetsuit. That's the most fragile component. Goes in the bottom of the suit case. Regs go in thier soft bag on top of suit. Masks go next to reg bags. Camera is in a hardcase that goes next to all of that. Fold the arms and legs over everything. Set Kydex plate on top of that. Set my fins next to it. Put in my toiletries. Weight the case, if I'm under 45 pounds, I add more clothes, even a towel as padding. I use a Mia Toro suit case that's fairly light for it's size.

Clothes and sandals, are in my carry on. My carry on is a back pack. Once at my destination, all of my scuba gear gets packed into that back pack for easy carry to the boat. Back pack is only 1 pound Gossamer gear pack.

I have about 6 different bags from Briggs & Riley that I use for all my types of travel. These are not cheap bags, but they have a lifetime warranty for any reason. When the airlines trashes a zipper or a handle, they make it right. I don't like to advertise that I am traveling with expensive scuba gear. My favorite is the Baseline Large Upright Duffle. Clothes get packed in the lower compartment, dive gear on top. The Baseline Medium Upright Duffle is the same design in a smaller package.

Hi Sevenrider860. I know your post is over 4 years old, but I recently looked online for a new dive travel bag. I used an IST luggage (bottom half was a hard case) for the last 20 years and loved it. I have one Briggs and Riley Travel bag and we love it. We are considering the Briggs & Riley Baseline Large Upright Duffle. Would you still recommend this? It is currently not in stock with B&R, but I have found an authorized B&R seller that has this bag in stock.

Hi Sevenrider860. I know your post is over 4 years old, but I recently looked online for a new dive travel bag. I used an IST luggage (bottom half was a hard case) for the last 20 years and loved it. I have one Briggs and Riley Travel bag and we love it. We are considering the Briggs & Riley Baseline Large Upright Duffle. Would you still recommend this? It is currently not in stock with B&R, but I have found an authorized B&R seller that has this bag in stock.

The Large Upright Duffle is big, just watch out on your total weight as it is easy to go over 50 pounds. I also have two of the Medium Duffles which I use for dive gear also. I like the bottom panel which I use to put my clothes. packed tightly, this makes a great base for the gear in the larger section.

I think the Briggs and Riley bags are excellent and if you ever need repairs, they have you covered. I have not needed any repairs on the duffles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom