Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it were you, would you recommend using rental gear for a year or so and saving for a new one from a dive shop or would you take the chance with this deal?

This is a tough question to answer because there many variables at play, some as others have mentioned such as will rhe shop shun you as a member, will you be able to find service locally in the future...even the immediate future if you find the reg arrives and needs tuned, etc.

For me though, based on my personal disposition, if I needed a reg set, I would definitely consider the Core Supreme set for the price it is selling for. $200 is a steal....just hope that the "lost shipment" does not translate to "stolen goods" as that can create problems, but that is probably unlikely based on how long that ebay seller has been doing business.

If you need to save money, this may be a good deal, but I recommend contacting @Jim Lapenta to see what he can offer you. He carries HOG and often has good deals on the D1 1st stage and Classic 2nd stages. You can purchase service kits if you ever want to get into self service or you can send them to Jim, Divers Supply, DRIS and other entities to have your reg set serviced.

-Z

@Snakekid97 the yearly inspection/service cycle only has to be strictly adhered to if you want the free service parts. in your case, it would not apply as you aren't buying from an authorized dealer. a significant portion of this board adheres to "don't fix it if it ain't broke" when it comes to their regs.

@Snakekid97 in your case, it would not apply as you aren't buying from an authorized dealer.

I'm under the impression that they are an authorized dealer. They claim to be authorized in every line of gear they carry. In addition, their physical locations show up on Hog's website when searching for dealers.

i meant the ebay listing for the aqualung core regs. for hog, a lot of people either self service or just dive it until it needs service then replace, selling the old set to DIYers to offset the cost.

With the cost of buying and shipping the set, getting it serviced online, and buying a mid-range din to yoke adaptor I'm looking at about $320. I found this 3 stage set Hog Classic D1X Regulator with Free Octopus (divers-supply.com) for $341. I have no experience with Hog, but I've heard they've got decent gear. I'm not sure how much it weighs, but I believe it has an environmentally sealed first stage. I need to do more research, but if it is good for cold water (>50F) and a lightweight system for travel to Florida than this may be a solid option. Diver supply is an authorized dealer and I can mail in for service.
With those costs I would go for Hog set. Not sure if 5th port can be added, but from the looks of it, it looks like it can. That would give you more options in the future, if you decide to go for single tank streamlined setup or doubles/side mounted tanks.

Aqua Lung is inspected every year and only rebuilt (overhaul) every second year unless you are getting hundreds of dives yearly. Buying off a seller on Ebay you wouldn't have warranty so you wouldn't need to rigidly hold to that schedule but should have it inspected annually.

Aqua Lung is inspected every year and only rebuilt (overhaul) every second year unless you are getting hundreds of dives yearly. Buying off a seller on Ebay you wouldn't have warranty so you wouldn't need to rigidly hold to that schedule but should have it inspected annually.
I bought new Apeks set from dealer. It worked fine for the first year. Did a service course with that same dealer and never bothered with "manufacturer recommended maintenance". If it locks IP, I am not going to open it.

Curious where I could get these serviced. Even diver-supply mail in will only service the brands they carry and this doesn't seem to be one of them.

It looks like you already found the answer to your question, but yes, you can just send your reg back to Deep6. They make quality products and provide great service. You won't find a better quality reg set (new) for the price.

I'm under the impression that they are an authorized dealer. They claim to be authorized in every line of gear they carry. In addition, their physical locations show up on Hog's website when searching for dealers.
They are an authorized dealer as am I. I am in SW Pa and do mail in service on HOG regs.
I'm also a HOG reg technician instructor. As well as a Deep Six reg tech instructor.
The D1 /Classic is a sealed diaphragm reg that I've had to 170 feet or so in 38 degree water. I have customers using that reg combination thousands of feet back in caves and to depths over 300 feet.
It will certainly handle cold water.
Using a DIN adapter in order to use it with yoke tanks does not pose any additional risk. It does put the 1st stage closer to your head. However, if you bought DIN and wanted it converted to yoke, it's a few bucks more and then you'd have the DIN assembly if you ever decided to go with only using DIN cylinders. It's a 5 minute job to change them over.
The other thing is that you can select the hose lengths you want and buy everything ala carte.
Most of my D1 customers use a tech style set up with the back up on a bungee and a longer hose on the primary. Easy to do and no extra charge.
However, a standard recreational configuration (28 inch primary and 36 or 40 inch octo) is always an option. I don't recommend getting the rec teck octo though as it's not adjustable. I'd put two classics (same price) on with a yellow faceplate on the octo if you really wanted it. I also don't care for braided hoses and recommend rubber over them. Braided only saves a few ounces but it's not friendly to drysuit seals and they take a set and are floaty. I've also seen braided hoses kink. The mfgs of them also recommend changing them more often than rubber.
Message me if you want more info.

With those costs I would go for Hog set. Not sure if 5th port can be added, but from the looks of it, it looks like it can. That would give you more options in the future, if you decide to go for single tank streamlined setup or doubles/side mounted tanks.
The 5th port is standard.

Reactions: Zef

Back
Top Bottom