Spiegel Grove fatality - Key Largo, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many years ago in the early 90's we were doing a deco dive on the Duane. We had planed a 40 foot stop, 30 foot stop, and a 20 foot stop. We had bottles hanging at each depth. As we descended the line there was very little current and excellent visibility. We were wearing doubles and a 40cu/ft pony each. We did our bottom time and had a wonderful dive. As we ascended we both noticed a much stronger current than when we came down the line. By the time we got to the first stop it was rip roarin....the both of us held on for dear life during all our stops. After what seemed like an eternity we finally made it back to the boat. We were both spent and exhausted. Our arms and shoulders were cramping and in extreme pain. We were concerned that we were both bent so when we got back to the docks we explained everything that happened to us to DAN. Ultimately DAN felt it was muscle exhaustion and fatigue. We were told to watch our symptoms and if anything changes to call back. We lived on Motrin for two days after that. Back in the early 90's we were in top physical condition and it took everything we had to make it back to the boat

We did not take as careful notice
Aren't there numbered tags corresponding to each buoy at their attachment point on the wreck?
Nitrogen narcosis. Few ever "feel" it unless it's very severe. The tags are a bit high up and often covered with slime, making them hard to read. It was easier to dive when it was on its side. I have taken about two feet of builder's flagging tape, that flimsy nylon stuff that will flutter in the current.

Many years ago in the early 90's we were doing a deco dive on the Duane. We had planed a 40 foot stop, 30 foot stop, and a 20 foot stop. We had bottles hanging at each depth. As we descended the line there was very little current and excellent visibility. We were wearing doubles and a 40cu/ft pony each. We did our bottom time and had a wonderful dive. As we ascended we both noticed a much stronger current than when we came down the line. By the time we got to the first stop it was rip roarin....the both of us held on for dear life during all our stops. After what seemed like an eternity we finally made it back to the boat. We were both spent and exhausted. Our arms and shoulders were cramping and in extreme pain. We were concerned that we were both bent so when we got back to the docks we explained everything that happened to us to DAN. Ultimately DAN felt it was muscle exhaustion and fatigue. We were told to watch our symptoms and if anything changes to call back. We lived on Motrin for two days after that. Back in the early 90's we were in top physical condition and it took everything we had to make it back to the boat

I guess growing up here in the Mid-Atlantic and diving wrecks up and down the coast comes with a bit of experience in using a Jon Line. I've used a couple of the clips and several "home made" types that allow you to stay horizontal and AWAY from the anchor line. Just BING (I used to work for Mr Softy) "Jon line"

Bob

I guess growing up here in the Mid-Atlantic and diving wrecks up and down the coast comes with a bit of experience in using a Jon Line. I've used a couple of the clips and several "home made" types that allow you to stay horizontal and AWAY from the anchor line. Just BING (I used to work for Mr Softy) "Jon line"

Bob
We were never shown Jon Lines....We found out what they were after!! We needed them for certain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom