World’s deepest indoor dive pool open in Dubai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isn’t there one where they also simulate space and do some training for NASA at? Maybe not open to the public.
Both not open to the public, and not very deep. It happens to be the biggest in volume, because there are complete ISS modules in it, which can be changed. The astronauts performing a space walk may have practiced the maneuver 20 times before they go to space.

Bit of an update on this pool.

The instructor friends of mine who were invited to try the pool out a couple of months back are authorised guides at the pool so they don't pay for the dives they do in the pool.

One of my non-instructor friends dived the pool last week (30m for AED1,200) and her two key comments were:

1. I was bored after 30 mins.
2. It was a waste of money.

If you wish to do the 60m dive on Trimix you will have to buy the gas from the people that run the pool, no idea what they charge though.

Okay I dived the pool with my buddy Dimitris yesterday 20th February.

Each of us had our own guide and because Dimitris has IANTD ART cert to 50m he was only allowed to go to 40m.

Anything below the 30m level is done on Trimix, and down to 30m is done on Nitrox.

I was on a 18/45 mix (analysed at 18/49) for the dive and had one of the instructor / guides Dario with me.

The pool is very very impressive with facilities reflective of how much dosh they've invested into it.

full

Well designed racks with the gear for donning and doffing are pretty neat

full

Changing rooms and showers are outstanding too, one cannot help but be impressed by all of this.

BPW and regs are Halcyon, and they use SW Petrels for divers without their own computers. I used both my Petrel 2 and Perdix on the dive. Tanks are double S80s.

We had a quick briefing then donned the gear, did some checks and walked into the pool where we clipped on our S80 stages with EAN50, got our fins, masks etc. After a bubble check we then descended.

This was my first ever fresh water dive, and there is 14 million litres of ozone treated H2O here, which is recycled every six hours, rather impressive.

full

Reached the bottom in about six minutes, and after a brief swim around Dario and I ascended to meet Dimitris and his guide at the 40m donut and slowly ascended into various levels to look at the various objects there.

At 21m we switched gases to start the deco portion and continued the dive.

What can I say!

It was the easiest 60m dive I've ever done, and I had fun.

I will add that I did not pay for this, as I was given a gift card for the dive from my colleagues when I retired last September. However if any of you are interested the cost is AED1,500 (USD408.42) for the 60m dive and AED1,200 (326.74) for the 30m dive.

Given the price of Helium, I think the 60m dive has better value.

Would I dive it again? Probably yes depending on the circumstances.

I shot video using my TG6 in a Nauticam housing and will be posting it on You Tube once I sort that out, don't hold your breath though, it's still taking ages to upload Part 1/3 which is only 10 mins long.

After lunch we had a brief tour by one of the staff whose name was also Dimitris and Greek too. The decompression chamber is something else to behold and certainly nothing like the ones I used to work on back in the 80s.

full

My thanks to Dario, Dimitris, and all the staff working there, who are extremely professional in this project.

Do it, at least once :D

Edited to add the dive profile

full

@Searcaigh thank you for the detailed write-up. It sounds like as they say "a good time was had by all".

Lots of video editing today, I thought this sh!t was supposed to be easy these days :mad:

Anyway after lots of hassles etc., I have managed to upload part 1/3 onto You Tube.

If you come across part 2 it's wrong, bloody file mix up.

Back
Top Bottom