Need help with dive bag/Travel bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used a range of bags: Samsonite type; large, square soft-sided general purpose luggage; Stahlsac roller, etc. My 2 cents : wheels are most important and fail first. A relatively inexpensive bag with good wheels should last as long as the more expensive bags. Weight is next most important. You want a bag that's built well enough to hold up, but not too heavy. I don't worry about identifying my bag as scuba gear. Airport theft of scuba gear is very rare. (OTOH, I don't check my camera bag.) 90% + of bags are black. Get a bright color or add something bright to identify your bag. I put my mask in a fin pocket and wrap my regs in my wetsuit. Never a problem with any damage.

I recently purchased an used pelican case with wheels. The main downside is it's rather heavy (around 20lbs empty), leaving less weight (30lbs) for the 50-lbs limit. The upside is it's REALLY sturdy. If I only had 1 checked bag, I'd probably skip this option.

I purchased it for dual-use. Specifically, when shore-diving I usually like to have a small amount of equipment on or at the shore, and want to keep it secure. I had been using a storage-tote, that I (with a cable lock) lock, which would only be as secure as someone nearby noticing a stranger trying to pry or cut through the tote. I also carry 2 keys, just in case one gets caught, falls off my harness, etc because otherwise I'd be mildly screwed if I lost my key. I also put my DAN insurance info, if I have a problem, and my contact info just incase it gets "lost."

100% Agreed with using distinct colors. However, I take it one step further, since multiple people might have the same or similar color of bag (pink, blue, green, etc). I customize my bags slightly, typically using brightly-colored tape, coth, paracord, paint-marker, etc .... something where if someone accidentally grabbed the wrong bag, it would be really obvious. "What, I didn't tie a piece of cloth to the handle!?"

I also usually have my contact info (name, email, phone) on the bag, in a place that's easy to see & secure. I usually also have a backup inside the bag as well.

If you need to save checked-luggage weight, you can also put your lead/steel weights in your carry-on luggage.

upload_2021-7-30_12-29-6.png

Travelpro 29" expandable spinner. Weighs just 8.5 lbs. The blue color with orange handle and green lock is easy to spot. Easily holds 2 sets of gear or 1 set and a bunch of other stuff. Not difficult to keep under 50 lbs, have packed it to near 70 lbs when lucky to be flying 1st or business class. I have had it at least 5 years now, many trips, appears to be very durable.

I use an Akona mesh backpack for a boat bag, works very well. I find the quality of worksmanship is not as good as in the past. I've had pulled out grommets, split seams, broken handles and cord closures.

I migrated from a giant wheeled Pelican and North Face base camp bags to an Eagle Creek wheeled duffel and an Osprey wheeled carryon that converts to a backpack. The giant wheeled Pelican was nice when we had 70lb weight limits but it has been sitting in my attic for years since it is impossible to pack and keep under a 50lb weight limit (at least for me). I try to get all my camera stuff, regs and lights into my personal item (a small REI backpack) so in case I am forced to check my wheeled backpack/carryon I don't have to worry about them breaking that stuff. I find that sometimes on flights where they are basically forcing people to check rolling carryons I can get away with keeping mine since they think it is a backpack and not a standard wheeled carryon.

Shout out to Eagle Creek. On my last trip to Turks the airline broke the wheels on my rolling duffel and they sent me new wheels free of charge for a bag that is at least 15 years old.

I migrated from a giant wheeled Pelican and North Face base camp bags to an Eagle Creek wheeled duffel and an Osprey wheeled carryon that converts to a backpack. The giant wheeled Pelican was nice when we had 70lb weight limits but it has been sitting in my attic for years since it is impossible to pack and keep under a 50lb weight limit (at least for me). I try to get all my camera stuff, regs and lights into my personal item (a small REI backpack) so in case I am forced to check my wheeled backpack/carryon I don't have to worry about them breaking that stuff. I find that sometimes on flights where they are basically forcing people to check rolling carryons I can get away with keeping mine since they think it is a backpack and not a standard wheeled carryon.

Shout out to Eagle Creek. On my last trip to Turks the airline broke the wheels on my rolling duffel and they sent me new wheels free of charge for a bag that is at least 15 years old.

Unfortunately, Eagle Creek has announced that it will cease operations at the end of the year.

Unfortunately, Eagle Creek has announced that it will cease operations at the end of the year.
Darn...glad I got my wheels when I did then.

The Large Upright Duffle is big, just watch out on your total weight as it is easy to go over 50 pounds. I also have two of the Medium Duffles which I use for dive gear also. I like the bottom panel which I use to put my clothes. packed tightly, this makes a great base for the gear in the larger section.

I think the Briggs and Riley bags are excellent and if you ever need repairs, they have you covered. I have not needed any repairs on the duffles.

Thank you. I just placed an order for the large bag.

:shocked::crying:

Update - Eagle Creek is still alive and kicking. The same bag I mentioned upthread that is now 17 years old got damaged on my trip last week on the Cayman Aggressor (cracked baseplate). I took a shot in the dark and sent a few pics to Eagle Creek thinking that it might be repairable if I sent it in to their service/repair center. Got an email today that they are sending me a brand new bag at no charge (MSRP $439).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom