Prescription Mask for Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CanadaDan

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Been a few years since the mention of prescription masks in the photography section so I thought I'd ask some questions. I just got my new prescription and need to order new bifocal lenses.

My skirt of choice for fitting my face is the Tusa Ceos so I'm looking for sources that either sell them (preferable) or will fit to them if I send in the skirt.

I've been super happy with SeaVisionUSA the past few Ceos skirts they’ve fitted lenses to but looking at alternatives since I'm noticing a few sites offer 35mm wide bifocal portions for extra reading area. Seems appealing but SV doesn’t offer that option. Would also be nice to not have to ship the skirt to them first.

Has anyone tried the 35mm option and how did you like it?

What source do you you love for your mask lenses?

Been a few years since the mention of prescription masks in the photography section so I thought I'd ask some questions. I just got my new prescription and need to order new bifocal lenses.

My skirt of choice for fitting my face is the Tusa Ceos so I'm looking for sources that either sell them (preferable) or will fit to them if I send in the skirt.

I've been super happy with SeaVisionUSA the past few Ceos skirts they’ve fitted lenses to but looking at alternatives since I'm noticing a few sites offer 35mm wide bifocal portions for extra reading area. Seems appealing but SV doesn’t offer that option. Would also be nice to not have to ship the skirt to them first.

Has anyone tried the 35mm option and how did you like it?

What source do you you love for your mask lenses?
Custom Prescription Dive Masks
They know how.to handle Canadian clients.

PDM are the best. I’ve had many custom masks made by them. Never disappointed.

I should have mentioned I’m looking for full replacement lenses. I’ve done the bonded route before (and actually have access to a local lab that makes them). Now that I’ve tried SeaVision’s full replacement lenses I never want to go back. SO much easier to clean and they look great.

I may end up staying with SV after all.

FWIW I'm sticking with SeaVision. I got excited with the thought of bigger reading area like a dog seeing a squirrel.

Sticking with what works and ordered a new mask and lenses from John... sometimes you have to convince yourself you've already found the best.

Mine came from Prescription Dive Masks in California. It took forever but the C-word occurred at the time of order and the world changed forever. I have it and love it, it is a game changer. I did my Atomic Frameless. I want to get my ScubaPro Frameless done next. As soon as I might can afford it!

James

My experience may be helpful to others.
I currently need a +3.5 correction in order to read my divecomputer and to take uw photos (it's age!). I had tried the usual solutions with limited success: stick-on half-lenses come off and prescription lenses fitted to your mask cost a fortune and are like looking through a letterbox. Then it occurred to me (after a few beers) that most divers only need sharp vision for close- to middle-distance objects, say maximum 10 meters, so bifocal correction is unnecessary. I now use a Tusa Ceos mask with Tusa ready-made correction lenses (+3.5) For me it's the perfect solution; everything I want to see is clear, my field of view is the whole mask, and it cost me way, way less than having custom lenses made. I don't even notice that I can't see to infinity.
Ted

I was hoping to confirm from those who have used PDM - were they able to offer a prescription lens with something more like half and half? Half clear, and half basic prescription? (I need about +1.50 to +1.75).

Like @CanadaDan , I need them for photography, and while my gauge readers (about 1/4? 1/3? view) are clear and sharp, trying to use them to take pictures is a painful and awkward exercise as I crane my neck up, squint down and try to aim my camera.

Full lens replacements aren't an option for me, as I have about a maximum clear distance of 1 metre or so (1 yard?) with that type of power. There are times I'm in clear water and need at least 5 metres of clear vision (and ideally 20+m).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom