Hydro and +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_Ralph

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, sent the latest batch of cylinders off to hydro... made a small stink they didn’t seem to do + ratings on the last batch of LP steels, and had 3 this batch.....

Well picked them up, and all tanks got a + rating... even the HP steels!

So... do I complain on any fill less than ~3800psi?

:p

_R

I would probably take the cylinders back, ask for the test records, ask for the owner and ask what the hell they are doing? Depending on their response I might or might not file a complaint with DOT.

I would probably take the cylinders back, ask for the test records, ask for the owner and ask what the hell they are doing? Depending on their response I might or might not file a complaint with DOT.
And I'd be quiet and not rock the boat.

Well, sent the latest batch of cylinders off to hydro... made a small stink they didn’t seem to do + ratings on the last batch of LP steels, and had 3 this batch.....

Well picked them up, and all tanks got a + rating... even the HP steels!

So... do I complain on any fill less than ~3800psi?

:p

_R
The HP’s got plus rated? Never heard of that.
I don’t think that’s right. I thought HP’s are stamped with the actual working pressure, not working pressure that includes a 10% overfill.

The plus rating has little to do with the plus (+) rating. One must look at the first hydro stamp and REE. If the first stamp doesn’t have the + then the hydro tester should not be adding it. I’ve seen this before. The tester realized the mistake after I pointed it out. He filled in the + and painted over it.

If a cylinder isn't a 3A or 3AA it can not be +'d. There are 3AA3000's out there which can be +'d provided they meet their REE values. No SP or E type cylinder can be + rated.

Not sure a 3A can be plus rated, never saw any that had.

The boat may get rocked and then some if the hydro test was fubar.
Might. I'm sure you have a bunch of examples of steel tanks exploding while in hydro of any sort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom