Tips for navigation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Careful with a class...

It might be handy... it might be an utter waste of time...

I’d personally seek out someone who is really good at navigation, and not someone who just dives the same site weekend after weekend.. and get some mentorship.

Otherwise, you’ll likely find the wrong way to use a compass underwater.. and swim a square and be told ‘you can navigate! Here’s your card’

_R
That's exactly what happened when I got my "advanced" certification years ago in Cayman Brac. Swam a square, yeah that was fine, and told I could navigate. Not really!

But heading towards the shore is better than heading towards international waters and nearby Iran :).
Why not? You will be making an international dive in some very hot waters, not too many people get to do that

When the borders reopen I'm going to put Hedonist on one of our trips. On the Quion island which have really sketch currents and are right on the edge of international waters. Either West, North or East gets you to Iran (your phone picks up Iran Tel as the only network)

A poor Nav direction is the least of the worries. We have pirates with Ak 47's and Omani gunboats hunting them to contend with

Swam a square, yeah that was fine, and told I could navigate. Not really!

That is the AOW misconception for many. It is just a "sampler" of skills and, as in the case for navigation, doesn't really teach navigation or certify one as an expert in navigation - it's just completing a couple of skills of some very basic techniques that most divers can easily do. The idea is to take the actual course (of whatever AOW specialty one may become interested in) to become proficient - a bit more than using cardinal directions and counting kicks. I knew I wasn't an expert in anything after AOW, but a little more knowledgeable.

Swam a square, yeah that was fine, and told I could navigate. Not really!

When I teach it, on Aow they also have to swing a square, but with an extended first leg, which takes them away from the wreck so they can't see it. The only reference is the featureless sand and the compass. Paranoia and self doubt sets i, but they all eventually get it even after a few attempts - and I get them to use the compass on different dives.

First tip. Make sure you know the direction you're heading away from the drop point, and set that reciprocal bearing at the start of the dive, that way you have a direction to head back too - hopefully you'll have paid some attention to the change of directions you might have made on the dive site - especially to the surrounding area of the anchor line. As you get closer your self doubt will start to wane

On a liveaboard its most likely you'll have a guide with the group anyway, however be familiar with and carry a dsmb, so if all else fails and you get seperated you can launch the dsmb and surface under it, and let the taxi come collect you.

When the borders reopen I'm going to put Hedonist on one of our trips. On the Quion island which have really sketch currents and are right on the edge of international waters. Either West, North or East gets you to Iran (your phone picks up Iran Tel as the only network)

A poor Nav direction is the least of the worries. We have pirates with Ak 47's and Omani gunboats hunting them to contend with

haha invitation accepted
I'm itching for some Khasab diving

Regarding the underwater navigation dive in the PADI AOW course:

First, like the other AOW adventure dives, it is a one-dive introduction to the subject, not the specialty course itself. It’s purpose is to teach basic skills and whet your appetite to gain greater competence. By itself, it cannot be expected to make a student a skilled navigator. That doesn’t mean it (or the underwater nav specialty) isn’t worth doing.

Second, students doing the out-and-back and square patterns are permitted and encouraged to use all available information, not just kick cycles, time, and bearings. I do one out-and-back where the depth is more or less constant but there are visual cues on the bottom adjacent to the route but not obviously along the route. I run the second out-and-back along a route that takes them deeper on the way out and shallower on the way back in, but with very limited visual cues available. When they get back to the right depth, they’re either within tolerance or they repeat it. The square incorporates both opportunities to glean additional information. Also, the site has only moderate visibility, so they do have to trust their compasses.

They do come away from the experience with some useful skills and knowledge.

Careful with a class...

It might be handy... it might be an utter waste of time...

I’d personally seek out someone who is really good at navigation, and not someone who just dives the same site weekend after weekend.. and get some mentorship.

Otherwise, you’ll likely find the wrong way to use a compass underwater.. and swim a square and be told ‘you can navigate! Here’s your card’

_R
LOL.
Don't you just love it when someone had some bad instruction and assumes all instructors are bad? Or didn't learn anything and assumes it is the instructor's fault? Or assumes that no matter what they know more than the instructor so why ever pay one?

It is about getting lots of diving. Not zoning out of what's going on, and a combination of concentration and awareness. Knowing where the sun is, underwater features and where the viz is poor, a compass. For shore diving make sure you know the direction to get out. The depth awareness is very important.

Great thread! I have always been concerned about my navigation skills, that I must admit its not the best. I did my Advanced course a few years ago and navigation was my favorite part. it was done in a quarry where at the time the visibility was only about 2 feet, if that. The navigation course was very challenging but fun and knowledgeable. However, diving only a few times a year, sometimes only one, i find it difficult to remember everything. Also most diving I've done there was a guide with us so we really didn't have to depend on our own nav skills. I usually look at my compass anyway just to try to keep my skills up. I have to admit there were many times I had no idea where we were and next thing I know, the boat is above us... Is that Teric that is talked about a total dive computer or just a compass? Looks cool!

LOL.
Don't you just love it when someone had some bad instruction and assumes all instructors are bad? Or didn't learn anything and assumes it is the instructor's fault? Or assumes that no matter what they know more than the instructor so why ever pay one?

Just as much as I loved paying for classes in different areas with different instructors and apparently got all the ****** ones.... :S

Regarding compasses .... check out a real compass, and then diving compasses .... why are they marketed opposite of each other?

YMMV

_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom