Been busy diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

probably taking next weekend off just to veg.

I think we are all in shock -- no diving this weekend? Just out of curiosity, did you ever get to the Crystal Lake quarry? If so, how was it?

I think we are all in shock -- no diving this weekend? Just out of curiosity, did you ever get to the Crystal Lake quarry? If so, how was it?

I’m tired. Going to see some friends I’ve not seen in a long time. Didn’t get to Three Oaks. Several divers have told me they didn’t like the long walk from the parking area. That’s when I said screw it. Long walks make my knees/sciatica very unhappy.

Finally rigged up my suit bottle properly. Used the bungees that were included for that purpose (well, probably for a can light) on my rig. Been inflating my suit with 20/20 back gas during class up to this point. But the most recent class dive, I thought I had a leak. Nope. Just the cold wooosh from the helium.:facepalm: Learned my lesson! Will try it out when diving next weekend.

And, yes, I’m using air. That nitrox sticker was on the tank when I got it used. I’ve just never bothered to take it off.

E0294F39-9114-4A67-AD6C-EB408B5AC9E2.jpeg

I’ll be down in cave country around the holidays. Cheap helium to bring back with me. :D

I sense rebreather in your future.

I sense rebreather in your future.

You want to pay for it?

My instructor does a lot of CCR classes. KISS. The Orca Spirit is the only one I would do. Lightweight backmount. The Classic is too heavy. I have no desire for a SM CCR due to the Great Lakes wreck diving I do. The Orca Spirit only very rarely comes up used so I would have buy new. Perhaps $8K for a new model? Plus training. Sheesh. I can buy a LOT of helium for that.

On the cave side CCR totally changes the equation for diving. Instead of counting down every PSI, you are range limited but can spend a lot more time within that range.

Instead of being like "Hey look double domes... well that was sort of cool but I hit my turn pressure time to head home."

You get "Hey look double domes..." *15 minutes later* "Well I've seen everything here, I suppose I should go check out some of the jumps on the way home"

A friend of mine would do 2-3 hour dives at Ginnie every morning. Just exploring every nook and cranny within the range of his bailout.

Of course with that convenience comes the costs of buying the unit, training, sensors, and sorb. And of course an increased chance of death.

. . . And of course an increased chance of death.

Is this because rebreathers are simply dangerous, or is it primarily because people are doing more dangerous dives on rebreathers that aren't practical on open circuit? Swerving off topic, I guess, but wondering if there were any statistics on that. (If this is a thread hijack -- my apologies -- ignore me and continue on with the main topic.)

Is this because rebreathers are simply dangerous, or is it primarily because people are doing more dangerous dives on rebreathers that aren't practical on open circuit? Swerving off topic, I guess, but wondering if there were any statistics on that. (If this is a thread hijack -- my apologies -- ignore me and continue on with the main topic.)

I'm not expert, but probably a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B.

Back
Top Bottom