Alternative weight pockets for Hydros Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread encouraged me to have a mess around with the basic waist belt on my Hydros (i normally just use the full belt with the large monprene ditachable weight pockets)

For anyone who doesn't need a lot of weight, and is ok not having the ability to ditch it, it turns out you can fit a 1kg (2.2lb) weight on each side right at the back of the belt, behind the point where the shoulder straps come down and join the waist belt:

Img_4807.jpg

The trick is to reverse the direction the belt goes through the backplate anchor loop:
Img_4808.jpg

Normally it's rigged with the belt going thought the anchor from the front to the back, here i have it wrapping around the back of the anchor first and running forwards through anchor.

This gives juuuust enough belt space for the weight, makes it easier to attach with the standard push through retainer bobbin, and actually makes the weight sit really quite neatly and allows an unrestricted run for the waist belt to come forwards and around.

Very smart.
And nice colour as well.

Thank you for the explanation and for letting me know that they loosen up with use. I watched the video and with what you have said about them loosening up, I will change them.

As far as male tech setting them up, I asked about putting them the other way but he assured me that having them release downward was the way to go. It was very hard for me to pull them out and he said that would make it easier. I’d rather not risk them falling out.

I agree that they WILL loosen up. I’ve used them for at least 10 years. Mine have loosened considerably. That was my thought as soon as I saw that style of mounting. My advice is turn them over. I get the Tec guys thinking, but over time you will be buying new pockets.

this is my setup for shallow [< 18m] solo dives with the Hydros Pro, no integrated weight pockets, simple harness, had a crotch strap for awhile now removed as it does not move.
some weight in the trim pockets [more on the right, pony on left
20210813_095817.jpg
20210813_090945.jpg
] and not much on a weight belt [5mm suit], can pass it up before I climb the rubbish boat ladders around here.

why do you have 3 weight 2nd stages
One of the 2nd stages [s600] is for the pony cylinder with a Mk 2 first stage, I do have another 2nd stage for the pony with the hose reversed for the pony, but that is out of service at the moment.
Here is the pony on my Hog plate and wing [with a Mk 10 and g250], the reversed 2nd was an Aqualung and I just changed it to a SP s600 for a quick set up, it works well .
20210814_063303.jpg

Inn the third photo (with the weight pouches lying on the tile floor), where did you get the two large D-rings that you have screwed into the right side weight pouch? I've only seen the Scubapro black mini D-rings.
View attachment 654033 View attachment 654034 View attachment 654035

This is the small weight pockets on the waist band on the 'simple harness', also move one of my knifes [ carry 2] to the BC hose , as per photo 1.
And before anyone asks, I can reach the small pockets.
Edit: these are the weights that go in the back trim pockets, 2 for my 3mm, and 4 with my 5mm.
View attachment 654041

where did you get the two large D-rings that you have screwed into the right side weight pouch? I've only seen the Scubapro black mini D-rings.
Bought from a marine supplier [boat parts].
I do not use the weight pockets any more, gave them up early, I also removed the trim pockets from the simple harness.
The built in trim pockets on the back are great and I use this weight belt now, so easy to pass up before climbing a boat ladder for this old guy.
IMG_20230312_081111_DRO (2).jpg

Thanks for the extra info and pic. Always good to see options. I bought some second hand Hollis ditchable weight pockets to replace the SP built in pockets but they didn't end up being any sleeker, are less compressible than the SP ones for packing and don't dry instantly. I have some Sharkskin weight pockets like yours which work just fine but I do get 'hassled' by buddies for not having easily ditched weights when I've used them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom