Dive Boat Sinks in Pompano Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They didn't really learn a lesson. I dove the Okinawa with South Florida the following week. Didn't pay attention to the name on the boat, but it wasn't one of the two glass bottom cats. It was a 35/38 ft single hull with the dive transom.

They did it again! Tied off on the Okinawa from the stern. It wasn't rough out, but some crossing seas, but I looked at the dove master and told her that was a bad idea. In no time would there be water over the transom swamping the boat (I had no idea at the time about this incident). She laughed. "Like last week?" Then untied and took it around to the bow.

They didn't really learn a lesson. I dove the Okinawa with South Florida the following week. Didn't pay attention to the name on the boat, but it wasn't one of the two glass bottom cats. It was a 35/38 ft single hull with the dive transom.

They did it again! Tied off on the Okinawa from the stern. It wasn't rough out, but some crossing seas, but I looked at the dove master and told her that was a bad idea. In no time would there be water over the transom swamping the boat (I had no idea at the time about this incident). She laughed. "Like last week?" Then untied and took it around to the bow.

Wow :confused:

I don't use them and certainly don't plan to start.

Wow :confused:

I don't use them and certainly don't plan to start.
That seems wise. The not using them part.

I really don’t get this at all. Stern anchoring was addressed as a bad practice in a basic boat operator’s course I took several years ago. You’d think it would be addressed in Captain courses. Even if that wasn’t the case, you’d think that the sinking would make this a point of emphasis among all employees.

I really don’t get this at all. Stern anchoring was addressed as a bad practice in a basic boat operator’s course I took several years ago. You’d think it would be addressed in Captain courses. Even if that wasn’t the case, you’d think that the sinking would make this a point of emphasis among all employees.

I've known many highly experienced captains who will, in the right conditions, do a stern tie in. They have got to know their boat, what conditions allow it, and how to immediately respond to any potential issues. In these instances all of these points are brought into question. How well do the captain and mate know their boat? How well do they understand the conditions in which a stern tie in is acceptable? How well do they know how to respond and do they monitor the condition continually?

It's been quite a while since I dived on a moored boat. I did many times while Pompano Dive Center was still in operation. I've not dived in Pompano since they closed. These days all of my boat diving is off of live boats up in Palm Beach County. But even Pompano Dive Center would regularly do a stern tie in without an issue. I think the difference was the competence and experience of the captain and crew.

I've known many highly experienced captains who will, in the right conditions, do a stern tie in. They have got to know their boat, what conditions allow it, and how to immediately respond to any potential issues.
I could see a stern tie in as a convenience to divers depending on orientation to the dive site, but it still seem ill advised. Conditions can change quickly, and having to reposition the boat with divers in the water on a moored site should be avoided.

I dive mostly off my own boat. I do carry a stern anchor, but it’s only used when boating up to a sandbar. Bow anchor secures the boat. Stern anchor keeps it from swinging too much into other boats.

Bow anchoring is a safer practice.

Captain courses have nothing to do with boat handling. They are merely a memorization test of random facts. For instance, what lights are needed above and below the huey p long bridge.
Boat handling skills are learned from boat handling and crewing.
A captain's license is no indicator of seamanship.

A final update. Yesterday I received the final installment of my reimbursement for items lost in the sinking. The dive shop's insurance company sent me a check about a month ago, less the deductible. I reasoned that I am not the client of the insurance company. The dive shop is, therefore the dive shop should pay that. After a few emails I convinced the owner to send me a check to cover that deductible. I have received it and will take it to the bank today. He also told me that the Safari Diver is up and running and "she will be back in service in a couple of weeks."

Hi @elgringoperdido

Do you know anything about the Goliath? Said to have been owned by Scubtyme, now SFDHQ in Boynton Harbor Marina, Underwater Explorers old slip.

Hi @elgringoperdido

Do you know anything about the Goliath? Said to have been owned by Scubtyme, now SFDHQ in Boynton Harbor Marina, Underwater Explorers old slip.

Regarding the Goliath … Word from a dive buddy who regularly dives with both SFDH and Scubatyme is that Zach at Scubatyme and Jeff at SFDH bought the boat together to run out of Boynton. He isn't yet sure how they will handle booking charters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom