To lube or not to lube?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tbone1004 Thank you. Recently dump valve became stuck. Not sure what is the reason, probably accidental overtightening or dirt on the threads. So the lube was first idea to prevent the issue. Looks like it might make it worse. Other suggestions?

@tbone1004 Thank you. Recently dump valve became stuck. Not sure what is the reason, probably accidental overtightening or dirt on the threads. So the lube was first idea to prevent the issue. Looks like it might make it worse. Other suggestions?

a lot of times the threads will seize with salt crystallizing, just manipulate them periodically to make sure they don't seize and remove every once in a while to clean.

One thing I have found over the years, is that when I take a dump valve off to clean the BCD, sometimes when I put it back on, the valve itself can get hung up between the threaded cover and the BCD.

Make sure after you are cleaning your BCD and replace the dump valves, that they properly function upon reassembly.

One thing I have found over the years, is that when I take a dump valve off to clean the BCD, sometimes when I put it back on, the valve itself can get hung up between the threaded cover and the BCD.

Make sure after you are cleaning your BCD and replace the dump valves, that they properly function upon reassembly.

The valve is functioning. It consists of three parts. First, smaller diameter, is attached to the bladder. Second, with two sets of threads, screws on the first. And third, the cover with valve itself screws on the second. The problem is that second one is "fused" with the cover and it is very difficult to apply any leverage, save friction. But at least it is easy to replace.

Before posting the question I searched SB and found quite a few warnings not to mess with BCD valves too often for the fear of cross-threading. Makes me wonder why manufacturers use such a fine threads there. Wouldn't coarser thread do the same job?

Depends on the BCD. I had a Zeagle that was truly awful. Fine white threads. Difficult to start and see.
Many others, not much of an issue with reasonable care.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom