• Yes, definitely

Votes: 149 64.2%
  • Don't know

Votes: 19 8.2%
  • Always buy used and never buy new!!!

Votes: 10 4.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Jonathan
A question to those that wouldn't - do you take your own tank on holiday (assuming foreign destination)?

Even though I prefer used tanks I prefer to bring my own bottles, but it depends a lot on where I'm headed, and if airlines and weight restrictions are involved. If it's a "drive to the boat, then sail" trip I prefer my own. I know their history and buoyancy characteristics cold.

On a "fly to" trip I may take them, but prefer to arrange to have similar tanks at the other end if possible. If all else fails alumibombs work, but the buoyancy characteristics of the typical rental alumibomb pretty much sucks when pressure gets below a grand.

I bought my first tank yesterday. A used steel OMS 85. Just had a visual this month and has one year left before it needs a hydro since it was manufactured in 1998. I got it for $149. I thought it was an ok deal.:)

I recently ran across some steel 72's that hadnt been in the water it appered.and bought them and the backplates and a double hose reg .all healthways for 30 bucks.i had them hydroed and the vis and they both passed with flying colors.so do the math and figure it out.i have no regrets.4-500 dollars worth of tank for 30 bucks plus the cost of hydro,VIS and boots and new burst disks.so for around 50 bucks each and they will in all probability last me the rest of my life.and i get to go on a lead diet LOL.

i almost forgot to mention as a question was how old is to old?
my tanks i bought are LP steel 72's and they hadnt been hydroed since date of manufacture and that was 6/61 and the pillar valves were made in 1960.im sure this deal isnt typical but it is an example of what can be had.so they are 40 years old and are fine as they passed hydro last week and the valves only needed new burst disc's

Originally posted by scubafinatic
I recently ran across some steel 72's that hadnt been in the water it appered.and bought them and the backplates and a double hose reg. All healthways for 30 bucks..

If the double hose reg is in good shape with original mouthpiece and hoses you may have done a lot better than you thought! Those things have been going on e-bay for a _lot_ more than you paid for the entire set including hydros and service charges.

Healthways also marketed two "styles" of tanks in that time frame. One is Galvanized under a "coating", the other is bare galvanized. The "coated" tanks from any manufacturer were generally galvanized underneath the coating, but coating damage can cause localized severe corrosion where moisture is trapped under the coating. After a couple opened up it became accepted practice to remove the coating before visual if there is ANY damage to the coating. Coating removal is really a PITA and expensive if you hve a shop do it. The hydro stamp you just got is considered damage to the coating. If you got the "bare" version you did really well! That is also the time of transition between 1/2"NGT tank threads to 3/4" straight pipe threads. There are even a few 1/2"straight pipe tanks out there. If you have the 1/2"NGT threads (threads show when the valve is tight to the tank) or 1/2"straight pipe take special care with the valves. It is impossible to replace them with a new SCUBA yoke pattern valve. Sherwood stopped making them in the post pattern, and converting a "standard" valve to 1/2" of either pattern is cost prohibitive. It is possible however to easily convert 1/2"NGT tanks to O2 bottles. :wink:

FT

thanks fred and i meant to include but to lazy at the time of typing that my steels are bare galv. and are 1/2 npt and the valves both were removed with some friendly persuasion and are useable and i put new burst discs in them and yes i have seen the ones on ebay and was surprised at the asking and the giving.

What are used 80cf aluminum tanks worth? I also have a steel 72cf, and I would like to know it's value. Both tanks have just had their Hydro's and vip's last month at divers supply indy west. I need to thin out my collection. The 80 I bought new in '95, it is that see through blue with yellow accents.

I bought a 40cf steel tank at a garage sale five years ago for $2.00. I have set it up for nitrox and use it as a sling tank. Works very well.

I also had a buddy give me a set of doubles. They look to be about 30cf tanks, very small with a U.S. divers manifold . I took them in for their vip and hydro and the shop told me that they were not any good. Oh well, they sure are cool to look at.

Jeff Great lakes diver

Aluminum 80s I always buy used. Steel tanks and aluminum deco stages, I always buy new. Just a thing of mine.....

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom