What's the advantage of fins like these:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alex_can_dive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've seen a few people wearing fins that look like these:
Screen Shot 2021-08-31 at 12.41.17 AM.png

What's the advantage of these? (other than that they're small and portable)
Are they good for a specific style of kicks?

Ask this guy, he makes them , pages and pages about Force fins on this site.
Bob Evans

I have a pair of Force Fin Pros. They look the same as the standard Force Fins, but are a little stiffer. They are compact and comfortable and, in my tests, performed as well as ScubaPro Go Sports while flutter kicking. They are also amazing for dolphin kicking, which is fun if you want to go fast.

I can make them work with a frog kick, but it takes a technique adjustment and they still don't perform quite as well as more conventional fins for me.

The biggest problem is they are made in the US in small numbers from a very expensive material and as a result prices are high. Currently $260 for the standard design and up to $500 for the more advanced models. I bought mine used, which works well, because the material used basically never wears out.

I have a pair of Force Fin Pros. They look the same as the standard Force Fins, but are a little stiffer. They are compact and comfortable and, in my tests, performed as well as ScubaPro Go Sports while flutter kicking. They are also amazing for dolphin kicking, which is fun if you want to go fast.

I can make them work with a frog kick, but it takes a technique adjustment and they still don't perform quite as well as more conventional fins for me.

The biggest problem is they are made in the US in small numbers from a very expensive material and as a result prices are high. Currently $260 for the standard design and up to $500 for the more advanced models. I bought mine used, which works well, because the material used basically never wears out.

Helicopter turns? Back finning? Ankle kicking for fine control? Efficiency?

Probably a reason for their very small following.

Helicopter turns? Back finning? Ankle kicking for fine control? Efficiency?

Probably a reason for their very small following.
No problem with helicopter turns. I never learned how to back fin so can't comment there. I've noticed the camera operators on Jonathan Bird's Blue World mostly use them, so they must be capable of it. Fine control similar to Go Sports. Seems very efficient, moderate speeds require low effort.

I would guess the reason for their small following is that they look different, they are very rarely stocked in dive shops and they are very expensive. I'm pretty sure the latter two reasons means most people who try them already quite proficient with more conventional fins, so these will feel weird.

I was prepared to have to get used to the fins, but I found the adjustment curve to be very short. Maybe because my background is a competitive swimmer, so all fins feel artificial to me.

Edit: found an old Blue World video mostly about Force Fins

I own a pair of Force Fin Pro : my favourite fins. No problem for helicopter turn, nor ankle kicking, the best fins for that in my opinion. Very efficient. Never tried back finning with any fins. Been lost at sea for 2h30 a few years back, after a 50' minutes dive, I was the only one not cramping...

Back finning uses the side of the fins, so bigger sides work better -- Jet Fins, H1's, etc.

The smaller version of the force fins allow you to walk a little easier with the fins on as they're curved upwards.

No problem with helicopter turns. I never learned how to back fin so can't comment there.

It's unclear how you would do a helicopter turn without back finning on one side.

It's unclear how you would do a helicopter turn without back finning on one side.
What most people consider a helicopter turn is just a parabolic turn, they kick forward with one foot.

Back
Top Bottom