Second VIP test after Hydro test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive always found it funny that the convenience store propane tanks that they exchange for too much money arent usually in current hydro status. Some kind of exception i guess, they usually have some fresh spray paint on them at least....

Ive always found it funny that the convenience store propane tanks that they exchange for too much money arent usually in current hydro status. Some kind of exception i guess, they usually have some fresh spray paint on them at least....
There hydros are based on 11 years, not 5. I have always found mine to be in date. But I turn them in out of date.

There hydros are based on 11 years, not 5. I have always found mine to be in date. But I turn them in out of date.

Yeah i know, lots of out of date ones around here. I like to take my propane tanks there when theyre out of date and dig through the rack for one with a few years left, that way i can have it filled at costco on the cheap. Sometimes it takes some digging...

WHen I dropped my tank off at a hydro test facility, they asked where I will be filling it and said I'd need a VIP inspection from them after? Research on the board says that the hydro test does the VIP, so why would they say I need it? Should I ask for a VIP sticker from them?

EDIT

did some more research, sounds like it's a good idea for the LDS to do it as well?

If I was doing visuals (and not hydros) for customers, I'd be inclined to do my own visual before returning the tank. Partly because it helps mitigate potential liability if something happens, but really, if the tank were to fail after you brought it to me, I'd feel responsible for not checking the work that I'd contracted someone else to do.

Besides, the guy who does my hydros doesn't supply a visual sticker, so you'd be hard pressed to get those tanks filled.

You should get your tank back fully filled, with a pretty sticker, so just think of it as a really expensive fill? :)

Tanks are a money pit... the total cost of ownership of one tank over 10 years locally is about $610, and that's before fills.

@Angelo Farina h/y valves are only a thing because your area of europe seems allergic to diving doubles or sidemount
In reality doubles are (or were) also quite common here: 10+10 liters at 200 bar were the standard equipment during my first OW course... Again with twin posts.
They were (partially) replaced by 15 liters singles for avoiding the double cost of hydro every two years.
What is very rare here is the usage of small tanks, like the 11-liters aluminium (AL80) with single valve, which instead are common in many other countries.

To add to the crazy-ness......Your scuba tank contains air which isn't usually flammable,,,,yet has an o-ring & needs an annual inspection.

Your BBQ gas grill tank also has a hydro stamp on it plus an O-ring,,,,,is filled with highly flammable gas under pressure,,,yet no annual inspection required.

Yep,,,that's crazy.

Not at all picking on you, just the 1st "propane tank" post in the thread (I think)....and I'm a propane geek.

Propane tanks are pretty low pressure, 145 psi on a 70F day, so not at all close to what a scuba tank sees. Plus, propane "shouldn't" have any moisture in it at all, so there's no real chance of the tank corroding from the inside out (such as a 3500 psi tank pumped to 4K... that spends its life in water). If an LP tank looks like sh!t, it is, but not on the inside... our vip is for the outside only.

....and furthermore....shhhhhh about lp tanks only needing every 11 years... the last thing I want to do is have them hydro'd more often:)....jk, I honestly don't think it's worth it to hydro them, I really don't know anyone that does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom