Drysuit dump valve and shutdowns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I think that when I reach for my left post during a valve drill, some air leaks from the valve.

Do you guys maybe rotate or change your trim so you don’t leak from the dump when closing the left post?

No, but once I realized this was happening (I think it may have been an instructor who enlightened me) I was better prepared to deal with it.

when I have to turn valves off I try to make it easy on myself. Easy way to do that is to go head down so the tanks go "up" on your body closer to your head. When you're head down, nothing will come out of the dump valve

Some air might dribble out but whatever. It’s the way it goes.

take caution with going head down too much. If you can’t see your team, you’re too far head down.

Some air might dribble out but whatever. It’s the way it goes.

take caution with going head down too much. If you can’t see your team, you’re too far head down.

agreed, I usually only go down about 5-10* or so which I find to be enough to "hike" the tanks up on my back to make it easier, but not so much that I can't continue to move forward and signal while I'm doing it. Doesn't take much.

hmm. can we maybe call it a release valve?

If a drysuit has a pee valve, maybe calling this a dump valve creates the wrong image. But that would be neat, no?

I think that when I reach for my left post during a valve drill, some air leaks from the valve.

Do you guys maybe rotate or change your trim so you don’t leak from the dump when closing the left post?
Maybe just turn 1/2 to 1 turn to prevent this…that’s my easy fix

Many are taught to dive with the valve fully open, which is wrong. A cuff dump would do the job a lot cheaper. However, it’s a constant volume value. Once you’ve set the spring to the setting to hold the bubble you want it shouldn’t vent unless you ascend in the water column.

If you’re losing enough air to affect your buoyancy there’s a good chance you have too much air in your suit. You want to be able to change posture and trim as needed without worrying about losing buoyancy.

I was taught to use my dry suit as my primary bouyancy control so closing the drysuit valve is mandatory. When doing left post shutdowns I was taught to use my right hand to close my dry suit exhaust valve and push it slightly out of the way of my forearm while simultaneously preforming the shutdown.

It was the way I learned and it's become muscle memory, no noticeable time difference that I can tell.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom