How to get trained for factory-authorized servicing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How would I go about taking classes to become authorized by a manufacturer (Atomic, for instance) to service their regulators?

I'm mainly interested in this for the same reason I'm VIPing my own tanks: I'm super picky about who touches my gear and want to know for certain that the work is done correctly. I might service dive buddies' stuff, but don't have an interest in making a career out of it and won't be opening up a retail location and selling new gear.

How would I go about taking classes to become authorized by a manufacturer (Atomic, for instance) to service their regulators?

I'm mainly interested in this for the same reason I'm VIPing my own tanks: I'm super picky about who touches my gear and want to know for certain that the work is done correctly. I might service dive buddies' stuff, but don't have an interest in making a career out of it and won't be opening up a retail location and selling new gear.
Open a retail location and sell new gear.

Convince a buddy to open a retail location and sell new gear.

Buy a liveaboard and rent gear. (This actually doesn’t work, I’ve tried)

Honestly, Huish and ScubaPro (and I assume others) have gotten extremely picky about who is allowed into their classes. A dive shop has to promise that you are an actual repair tech in their employ. When my wife took the ScubaPro class Rene gave her the side eye. Next time he was in the shop he specifically asked to see her. So she trotted out of the back room with hands full of whatever she was rebuilding that day.

Most brands will require you to be employed by a dive shop to take their service courses. There used to be a place that offered training on many brands but the kicker is you won't be able to buy the service kits. Some brands will allow you to service your own and provide training.
I'm a HOD/Edge and Deep Six reg tech instructor. Those brands allow you buy the kits and be trained on the regs.
Some brands will yank a line from a dealer if they find out the dealer is selling you kits (ScubaPro and Aqualung for example).

And if you service stuff for friends, be prepared to be sued for everything you have if something goes wrong and you don't have liability insurance. You'll also void any warranties they may have. So if you screw something up, have funds ready to buy them new regs.
Even the brands that do allow you to be trained only certify you to work on gear you personally own. Unless you work for a dealer.
If you signed up for a class with me and I found out you planned to work on a friend's gear, the class would be cancelled and you'd get your deposit back.

I would approach your local dive shop and simply ask them if they would mind your taking a manufacturer's class or two; and whether you could use their name, on the application, should it be necessary. You'd be surprised how agreeable some can be.

I once used the laughable Tall Toad Diving, LTD, when I was on my own and unaffiliated with a shop, to see what would happen, if anything; and no one ever batted an eye, once they received cash.

During the ongoing covidiocy, you may actually have a marked advantage, since most classes have been relegated to Zoom or other similar platforms; and no one seems to be particularly picky, these plague-ridden, PNG-vacation-cancelled, money-starved days -- just ensure that your check clears, before the Xi variant arrives in the states, and our heads go up, like something out of Scanners . . .

you must be employed by a dealer to not only take the course from Atomic but also to buy any parts for them. This MAY change with the proposed self service law, but that will probably take a while to sort out and the scuba manufacturers will try to fight it.

If you want to be able to take a course to self service in the US your options are restricted to Poseidon, Deep6, and HOG. Dive Rite is a bit of a gray area, but no other manufacturers will let you. Sucks, but it is what it is.

You can’t work at a dive shop as a repair tech unless your certified, at the same time manufactures won’t let you take their certification seminar unless you work at a dove shop. Seems silly to me.

upload_2021-9-13_18-5-23.jpeg

You can’t work at a dive shop as a repair tech unless your certified, at the same time manufactures won’t let you take their certification seminar unless you work at a dove shop. Seems silly to me.

View attachment 681770
You are making it too complicated. You get a job at a dive shop - e.g. counter, fill station, instructor -- you take the certification seminar, then you work as a repair tech. It has worked like this for years....

You are making it too complicated. You get a job at a dive shop - e.g. counter, fill station, instructor -- you take the certification seminar, then you work as a repair tech. It has worked like this for years....
And that’s the problem… The LDS recruits retail workers into technical jobs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom