So much for streamlined

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thunder Struck

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sippin' cholla juice under the shade of a mesquite
When I first got setup with my XDeep Zen backplate and wing I was enjoying the bathtub warm waters of Lauderdale by the Sea. Just some simple straps, a plate, wing, and with a steel tank on the back no additional weight was needed. I thought the whole setup looked pretty sleek, sexy, and minimalist:
CC5C570A-8743-4EAB-A001-A300DB287DA5.jpeg

So I get back home to the Vegas, and despite the 110 degree temperatures the Mohave brings, nearby lake and river temperatures are quite cool. Then there is the SoCal channel island diving which is also quite cool. So out comes the 7mm suit, which means lead and weight pockets. I thought I might as well get a little utility pocket to store the DSMB in as well. Now, by the time all is said and done, it’s no longer as sleek and minimalistic as it was. Although it’s still sexy since it’s a backplate:
image.jpg

Ah well, it’s not like the 7mm suit doesn’t add to my overall bulk. I’m not too sure if I’m going to like where I’ve got the pocket rigged on top of the right side weight pocket. Accessibility may be too difficult in the 7mm suit. I’m thinking I may wind up placing it in front of the left side weight pocket. Or just ditch it and only bring what I can directly clip off. It does hold the DSMB and spool and still leaves me with a small shell pocket on the outside. The other option is to clip off the DSMB and spool:
7A434FE2-7C99-4AC2-8808-DEEC3C12DF8E.jpeg

So bulky pocket or dangly DSMB/spool? Decisions, decisions. Unfortunately moving to the Caribbean and ditching the weights isn’t in the cards for another 7-8 years.

Where do you keep your lights?

Did you get the setup at aquí water sports?

We have pockets on our tank bands. Keeps them off the waist straps. The bottom two can be dumped. SMB goes into the pocket on the waist straps.

Where do you keep your lights?

Light. Singular. So far just a basic Kraken. Keep it clipped off to a shoulder d-ring.

Ever considered a 10 lb BP?

Brother, I just got setup with this as an all around travel and local use BP. If I went and got another BP it will need to come with a divorce attorney.

Did you get the setup at aquí water sports?

Yes! Ryan was awesome at getting me setup with this rig. Came in on his day off to help me set it up. You want to talk about a business that treats you like you’re their only customer, Ryan knocks customer service out of the park. I’d actually like to train with him.

He didn’t have the XL weight pockets in stock so he shipped them to me as soon as he got them in. I ended up ordering the XDeep pocket from Tec Dive Gear. While I’d seen the online reviews of it I wasn’t quite expecting it to be as voluminous as it is. There’s no local shops here in town that are XDeep dealers. Had to figure out for myself how to rig it as I didn’t see anything online for it. No instructions but it did come with more stickers!

We have pockets on our tank bands. Keeps them off the waist straps. The bottom two can be dumped. SMB goes into the pocket on the waist straps.

So invert the weight pouches on the lower cam bands? Makes sense. Could probably reach back to dump those. Will have to experiment with this.

Had my custom Zen setup ordered a couple weeks back with Ryan (my first BP/W). Ryan spent a few hours on a Thursday morning, schooling me on all sorts of topics, for at least 2 hour... has an incredible amount of knowledge on diving. Reading this has me even more anxious to try out the setup. I also ordered the medium trim and right cargo pockets, so interested in everyone's input, as well

Ditch the 7mm and dive a drysuit. Nobody should have to endure 7mm of neoprene. The SMB then can be stowed in a drysuit thigh pocket. I'd opt for a weight belt over weight pockets and/or attach some of the lead directly to the backplate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom