DIR- GUE Spool to SMB attachment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Do you guys simply clip the double ended bolt snap through the spool and SMB? Or you do one those loops wrapping around the bolt snap to "lock" it?

I don't see it being an issue as it would probably never detach in my pocket, but I saw someone doing one of those loops even if they're carrying it in their pocket so I was wondering about that.

Or you do one those loops wrapping around the bolt snap to "lock" it?

Yes, I use several wraps to “lock” the thumbslide and I carry my DSMBs in various pockets.

Pass a loop through a hole in the outer edge of the spool, pull enough through to create slack.

One strand in gate.

Wrap slack around double ender.

Pass line back through gate (should be tough to open the thumbslide).

Clip wrapped end of the double-ender to a hole in the outer edge of the spool.

Other end of double ender is free to clip to the pocket bungee, pocket D-ring or waist belt D-ring

I just clip double ender to end of loop in line and pull it tight then clip it into spool about a hole past where it wants to go. Been doing it that way for over a decade. I have never yet had one come loose or detached.

This is how my GUE instructors instructed me. Never any kinds of loops around the bolt snap.

It always kills me how these people act so unnatural with their motions in the demos. They "snap" their signals and slap things around in the most unnatural manner. Like their trying to give some kind of military salute oer something. Why not just use normally slow, steady and fluid motions?

I would love to see these people do a demo on how to put on a hat or socks and a pair of sneakers.

It always kills me how these people act so unnatural with their motions in the demos. They "snap" their signals and slap things around in the most unnatural manner. Like their trying to give some kind of military salute oer something. Why not just use normally slow, steady and fluid motions?

I would love to see these people do a demo on how to put on a hat or socks and a pair of sneakers.

I always wondered if that was just for demo purposes to clearly accentuate the steps or if it was some sort of faux military army of GUE kind of thing. Not sure, but I see people doing it in non-demo situations, beats me.

I have to be able to deploy my sausage and spool with one hand, my other hand is generally occupied with my camera and my wife. I pre-attach the spool to the sausage and I limit the line on the spool (as of recent to 30 feet or 60 feet) in the event I should drop it. My small 3ish foot sausage is stowed pre-rigged with the spool inside an XS weight pocket on my right shoulder strap pushed way down to the plate, the sausage and double ender stick out of the pouch for me to grab and pull the spool free of the pocket. Or, if drift diving in some conditions (Jupiter for example) where I want a five foot sausage the sausage is rolled up (of course) and stowed with a bungee loop to my plate, way down to the bottom right side and the spool and the double ender just hang out. I attach the sausage, in both cases, as does Couv at a midpoint of the big loop and then I pull the remainder back through the holes and clip the double ender through the loop and one of the holes. It mostly stays put. And I do not snap myself about in that odd fashion. N

The DS diver seems angry.

Hand signals must necessarily be crisp but should spread calm and clarity, not stress and second-guessing.

I pre-attach the spool to the sausage

As does everyone else in GUE when doing actual dives. It is not attached during classes, like in the video, to help increase task loading, etc. to challenge a students ability to keep buoyancy and trim while doing something else, etc.

As does everyone else in GUE when doing actual dives. It is not attached during classes, like in the video, to help increase task loading, etc. to challenge a students ability to keep buoyancy and trim while doing something else, etc.

I thought one of the key principles of GUE was to train the way you dive and dive the way you train and to strive to keep protocols and gear configurations as uniform and simplistic as possible?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom