Light Monkey 32W VF or 20W fixed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of my friends with the 32vf has the scooter loop and gigantic hands with no issues. The loop is offset from the handle so there should not be a clearance issue.

I’ll be using my own homemade goodman and loop anyhow so I’ll make it work …

I understand you asked about the 20W vs the 32W. Long ago, I used an 18WHID. In 2016, I switched to the 21W LM LED for several years, and recently switched to the 32W. The physical size of the light head is nice on the 21W LED, but the 32W is still much smaller than the HID light head was. I think they've kept the same form factor on the non 32W lights. There is some scatter on the 21W and the 32W. The 32W is BRIGHT. I find myself turning it down so I can see my buddy's light, and sometimes to minimize the reflection off of the particles in the water. I think 3 clicks down from the brightest setting on the 32W matches the 21W LED I had been using. I'm very happy with the output of the 32W, but in my experience with it, being able to dim the light is more useful than the adjustable focus. Sometimes it is too bright. My usage of the 32W has been in the Great Lakes and other freshwater areas that are not crystal clear. I have used the lesser LM light in caves in Florida and Mexico. The slightly larger size of the light head on the 32W hasn't been a problem. I don't have a scooter loop, but I use a piece of bungee over the top of the head to accomplish a similar goal while scootering. What are your buddies diving for lights? The 32W is bright, but can be turned down to match lesser lights. If they are using something very bright, you may not be able to match them with the 20W?
I succumbed to the pressure, and got the 32W, the last time there was a 20% off sale.

My buddies have UWLD and Halcyon Focus 2s. It will be interesting to compare the 3 personally.

I went with the 32 VF. Ideally I would have gotten the smaller light head with the 32w led but c’est la vie.

My buddies have UWLD and Halcyon Focus 2s. It will be interesting to compare the 3 personally.

I went with the 32 VF. Ideally I would have gotten the smaller light head with the 32w led but c’est la vie.
I think the beam on the UWLD is more focused. They remind me of the older HID lights. I don't think I've seen a Focus in the water. Enjoy your light.

@lostsheep Did you get the 32W in the water yet? What are your thoughts on it?

@lostsheep Did you get the 32W in the water yet? What are your thoughts on it?

If by water you mean in a water filled clear tupperware on my workbench, then yes. I plugged it in and cycled through the brightness setting. I didn't think it was that bright until I turned it off and looked in a different direction. That's when I realized there was a slight blind spot happening...oops.

I unfortunately did something dumb; I have the old style battery with 2 pins and my new cap is 3 pin :( I'm gonna open it up and figure out if I can rewire it or if I have to send it back to LM...just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I unfortunately did something dumb; I have the old style battery with 2 pins and my new cap is 3 pin :( I'm gonna open it up and figure out if I can rewire it or if I have to send it back to LM...just haven't gotten around to it yet.

If you have a 2 pin canister and a 3 pin head, you will have to send it back (probably the canister) and I think they can put a 3 pin bulkhead in it.

But out of curiosity, if that's the case, how did you fire up the light in a tupperware container?

If you have a 2 pin canister and a 3 pin head, you will have to send it back (probably the canister) and I think they can put a 3 pin bulkhead in it.

But out of curiosity, if that's the case, how did you fire up the light in a tupperware container?

Lol

I have two caps for the canister, other cap is for a heated vest and the EO cord is really short. Can use it on the bench but underwater is no go.

Light monkey told me to send the dual outlet cap back and they would rewire it to be compatible with my old 2 pin battery. I didn’t like that option because it seems regressive and if I ever get a new battery I’d have to reverse the process.

All that said, I had a look at the wiring under the caps and two of the 3 pins were wired together as positive leads. Conveniently the spacing between pins is the same for the 2 pin and the 3 pin versions. So with that in mind I pulled out the bulkhead in the battery and drilled two new clearance holes for the extra pin.

Problem solved.
9A0033F8-CF0A-4861-8846-9B6042775E46.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom