DPV diving for Paraplegic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a good friend of mine who is paralyzed from the waist down. He has a complete injury in the C5 section of his spine.

I am wondering if he can use a tow behind DPV like the X-scooter or the Gavin.

Will his legs weather vain into the flow or will the DPV pull him upright. Keep in mind the Two behind DPV is connected to a d-ring that is on the crotch strap of DIR style rig.

Any input on scooter diving and paraplegics would be great

I can't really answer your question as I've only dove Apollo's. Have you thought about controlling vertical motion? with most DPV's that's done with your fins. And most DPV's are slightly negatively buoyant so I could see some potential problems with exceeding safe depths if he doesn't have any control of his legs/fins.

Also I'd think some sort of quick-release would be desirable in case your friend and the scooter needed to suddenly part ways. With the weight of it hanging off his d-ring, he might not be able to release a conventional clip in an emergency.

What about diving in tandem on a sled with twins scooters? Put some sort of handgrips on the sled so your friend could let go if necessary while you steer from above him. Farallon and Torpedo both have this option.

Good luck with this,

Thanks for the reply.

The scooter is perfictly neutral or can be made slightly positive. We control its boyancy properties by adding little weights inside.

As for vertical turns or horizontal for that mater, well there are several ways to turn the scooter. One of them uses fins, however the most effective way to turn and go up or down is by stearing the scooter itself from the handle. There are several places you can download movies about scooters these scooters and you will be able to tell that example http://www.dive-xtras.com/scooter/video/Elphinstone640.mov .

The divers behind the scooters make no effort with their body. These scooters were made for cave exploration and many hours of riding so the body simply needs tobe relaxed and weathervane into the flow.

My main question is will the body weathervane properly or will his body com eout from under him because of the lack of muscles in the lower back to keep it tucked in.

Has anybody ever tried this?

Thanks

This is the wrong place to be looking for answers. There are way
to many variables to give you correct advice. We don’t have a clue
as too the normal position his/her legs are in to start with, their weight,
their shape and any other dozens of problems. No two people are going to be exactly the same.

Not all DPV are negative so don’t base your info on that. Even two of the same brand will have different operating characteristics just like cars, planes, motorcycles or anything else that is mass produced.

The best thing to do is get your friend in a pool or a controlled area and try it.

I have not been on a DPV yet that had good control just using your fins. I have found that using your arms and just letting your legs trail has the best and quickest control.

Good luck

Gary D.

Red Sea Explorer:
Hi,

I have a good friend of mine who is paralyzed from the waist down. He has a complete injury in the C5 section of his spine.

I am wondering if he can use a tow behind DPV like the X-scooter or the Gavin.

Will his legs weather vain into the flow or will the DPV pull him upright. Keep in mind the Two behind DPV is connected to a d-ring that is on the crotch strap of DIR style rig.

Any input on scooter diving and paraplegics would be great

This works.

I've only seen it once but it was like the guy, who incidentally had a lot of trouble getting into the water with all of his gear (needed the help of his buddy), literally turned into a seal as soon as he put the reg in his mouth.

It was amazing to see and from the looks of it he was totally freed from his disability while in the water. Even being able-bodied I could feel the sense of release as he swam circles around other divers....diving and turning, dipping and rolling..... It's astounding to me that all paraplegics don't dive. God invented this sport especially for people with disabilities. Encourage him. Full stop.

The guy I saw was pretty experienced as using his gear but the goal is attainable. If your friend wants it, this brass ring is for the grabbing.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom