Clothing advice for liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could have avoided all of this packing nonsense if you had just booked onto a clothing-optional trip and packed a few nice new gold and gemstone-encrusted baubles. :eyebrow:

Tom Winters:
You could have avoided all of this packing nonsense if you had just booked onto a clothing-optional trip and packed a few nice new gold and gemstone-encrusted baubles. :eyebrow:
Somehow I think that such a surprise would have me waking up dead... :11:

Sylvie:
Hi Laurens
It can get pretty windy at night at the Red Sea, and at that time of year I’ve heard that the wind can still be chilly. Take along something warm like a sweat suit, preferably a windproof one. Sport suits are pretty trendy these days, so your wife might have one or two already. If not you can suggest that she gets one i.e. give her the impression that you might be taking her to a wellness week at a spa or somewhere where they’ll be outdoor activities. Also if you have a boating jacket that might not be a bad idea either. At least they tend to be windproof and waterproof. During the day, you'll probably be comfortable in t-shirts, shorts, and sandals.
Hope this helps
Sylvie

I second this thought! The trip sounds wonderful, you can't go wrong!

finally i'm back from my liveaboard... It was in the Bahamas and temp was sometimes chilly
I used : my gore-tex waterproof jacket, my waterproof pants, two polar jackets (one for when i'm wet, one for when i'm dry. polar pants, t-shirts, shorts, 4 bathing suits was ok, but 3 would work too, 2 is a strict minimum. Leave in conditioner (herbal essence), because I have long hair and all this time in salt water can be really hard , so between dive I rinsed with freshwater and spray of this product. after she will smell like flowers (another customer told me that :wink: sunscream, my habitual products, my cap, my sunglasses, and comfortable sandals.

I didn't use : some of my nice outfit, even if we stayed in Miami before and after, I was too lazy to ironing it. I finally took something else.

I would like to have : other colors of nail polish because I bought new sandals and it didn't fit very nice... but things could be worse :wink: really I didn't miss nothing, but if I would have more space in my luggage I could bring back more souvenirs. Too bad I had no space.

Hope it helps !

Hi Bubblelogist

Although I'm not the one going to Egypt on a liveaboard in March, I think that you gave a good response. I always find examples helpful. I suspect Egypt will be a lot cooler than the Bahamas were.
My girlfriend went to Hurgada in mid February and froze her butt off at night, even with a sweater and a leather jacket on. During the day she was only able to sun bathe at the beach if she was in the sun and there was no wind. I was in Sharm during the last week of April / first week of May last year, and it was very comfortable during the day, but chilly at night. If I remember correctly it was a bit cool after the dives when we were still wet (the water is still cold in early May & colder still in March), but afterwards we baked in the sun. Thus I suspect Laurens will experience whether that's somewhat in between. Keep in mind that it's a lot windier on a boat, and the wind can really give you a chill when you’re wet. I thnk divers will need a hot shower and some warm clothes after a night dive.

Hope this helps

Sylvie:
I thnk divers will need a hot shower and some warm clothes after a night dive.

Hope this helps
Actually we took all they had of hot chocolate... they were welcome especially after night dive. And for those who worries for the caffeine let's say that after 3-4 dives int 73-75 degrees water you don't have any sleeping problem.

Hi Again

I just remembered that I have been to southern Egypt in late March. It was in 1996 just before the tourist bombings in the Valley of the Kings. I recall that it was a scorcher the in sun when there wasn’t any wind around. As per usual for the desert, it got cold(ish) and windy at night. Mind you I was on a liveaboard cruising the Nile and not the Red Sea. The costal areas were breezier.

Hope this helps

Sylvie

PS: I think bubblelogist packing and accessory tips are pretty good, but that’s probably because she packs similarly to the way I do. Mind you I’ve only been on diving liveaboards in the tropics and never needed warm clothes.

PPS: When I went diving (day trips) in Sharm late last April/May I wore a 7mm fully and ice boots. I was warm and comfy underwater. A few others with 5mm wet suits got cold (mostly females) after about 30 - 40 minutes of diving.

We packed extra towels and bathing suits (still had way too much luggage though). Apart from the seasickness bit, she liked it a lot. The only thing she regretted was not seeing the pyramids.
Guess we'll have to go back then... :D

Hi

Glad to hear that you had a good trip. Just wondering what thickness wetsuit you used, and if you were cold?

I'm considering going last minute next week, as it looks like I may not be able to go on holiday as planned in May.

Cheers

We both used a 7mm semi-dry wetsuit. With on occasion a 5mm hood. The water temperature at the bottom was 22/23C. At the end of the week I did feel a bit chilly though. Maybe I'll wear something like a diveskin underneath the next time.

We saw guys wearing shorties, longies and a few in drysuits too.

Laurens

Back
Top Bottom