Cairns early 2006

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj:
... You know Cairns is a jumping off point for the Reef. Not much to do there, a lot of dive operations take you out (for the day) to Green Island which is just OK diving. ...

Are you kidding ??? ... there is a TON of stuff to do around Cairns when you're not diving ...

The train/Skyrail trip to Kuranda.
A day-trip (or longer) to Undara.
Half a dozen waterfall hikes within a 90 minute drive.
An unlimited number of mountain hikes within the same distance.
Swimming at the Copperlode dam (cool, freshwater, no box-jellies)
Driving (or bicycling) through the Tablelands ... lots of small-town pubs and cafes.

I have decided to do this trip in June 2006. I have as yet to choose a dive op but will be researching that for a while. I would like to wait until I get there and take advantage of the discounts, but to book my timeshare exchange I need to know when I'll be on the boat. Otherwise, I'll be paying for a unit when I'm not using it.
Thanks to all who responded to my threads!

Hi Pam
The comment i would make is that the discounts available locally are significant - depending on the rate per day for your timeshare it may still be cheaper to pay for a day or so extra there and get a discounted trip. With regards to the boats, definitely try and do the Coral Sea and Northern Reefs - there are several boats that go there - Taka, Spirit of Freedom, Diversity, Mike Ball are names that spring to mind, but there are others, and most of them generally go to pretty much the same sites. The differences are in comfort - it is a long way north to the reefs, and some include low level flights one way so you have less time just steaming on the boat. Also the boats are quite different - taka for example, while new and well maintained, is a pretty basic boat. If you want guaranteed confort and en suites etc, you are better off booking ahead and with one of the more expensive boats. In terms of safety and so on, I find standards are extremely high across the board.

The Pro dive one, while a decent boat and good value for money, is better than day boats if you are time limited, but the reefs further out are much better.

Travelnsj:
Are you are looking to do the Mike Ball to the Cod Hole? I have done that boat before it is small. But their service is Excellent.

If you are into Sushi i found an excellent place in Cairns and will give you the address if you want.

Hello from Mountain View!
What is the great sushi resturant you can recommend in Cairns?
I'm also comparing Spirit of Freedom and Mike Ball for 3 day Cod Hole, any advice?

mountainviewer:
Hello from Mountain View!
What is the great sushi resturant you can recommend in Cairns?
I'm also comparing Spirit of Freedom and Mike Ball for 3 day Cod Hole, any advice?

The Yama Japanese Restaurant on CNR Grafton & Spence Sts. Phone (07) 40521009. Excellent Sushi!

I saw pictures of the Spirit of Freedom. Looked like it had more room. The Mike Ball operation is Excellent but that Boat was very small. I had a premier Cabin...it was very tight for two people!

Have you thought of doing their boat out of Townsville or going to PNG? I hear their boats are a lot nicer and a lot more to see.

I rate the Cod Hole diving about a B-, the topography an A, the boat about a D+, the service A+.

If you need any other info....let me know.

IslandHopper:
Are you kidding ??? ... there is a TON of stuff to do around Cairns when you're not diving ...

The train/Skyrail trip to Kuranda.
A day-trip (or longer) to Undara.
Half a dozen waterfall hikes within a 90 minute drive.
An unlimited number of mountain hikes within the same distance.
Swimming at the Copperlode dam (cool, freshwater, no box-jellies)
Driving (or bicycling) through the Tablelands ... lots of small-town pubs and cafes.

IslandHopper.....I'm sorry i did not see your post earlier! You are right!!! There is a lot to do. I have been there 3 times. The last couple of times it was just a jumping off point and night to have great Sushi and Sake.

Kuranda was a highlight! What can I say......I forgot!.... You are correct!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom