Newport Aquarium Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dripdrypoet

Reaction score
I am still slack-jawed with delight, and don’t really know where to begin, but I finally finished my training at the Newport Aquarium with a dive in the shark tank. For those of you who haven’t had the opportunity to visit this exhibit, you simply must find the time. This tank has 385,000 gallons of salt water and is populated with some truly magnificent creatures.

We have 3 Sand Tiger sharks, lots of Sand Bar and Nurse sharks, a loggerhead (called Denver, who is the terror of the exhibit), massive amounts of Jacks, a friendly grouper who thinks he is a puppy, several massive Southern Rays, and lots of other denizens who are every bit as curious about you as you are about them.

The way things turned out, my introduction to the exhibit took the form of a back-up safety diver for one of the shows we put on for our visitors. The presenter was interacting through com gear with a theater full of visitors, the “real” safety diver lurked off to the left, and I positioned myself off to the right. Our job, as much as anything else, was to keep Denver from pestering or biting the presenter. This turtle is a pretty large fellow, and he likes to be the center of attention. He has been known to get a bit jealous and sneak up behind the presenter, bite the communications cable, air hose, or a handy body part. I mean how dare the presenter pay attention to anyone other than him. (Having been married to a sweet Turkmen girl, I am quite familiar with this mindset.)

So, all I really did was deflect Denver’s trajectory so he would pass over or around. Kind of like playing dodgeball with a guided and beaked Frisbee. However, when he was out of sight I was able to play. I did not play with the Sand Tigers, because they are really scary, but I did caress the 300 lb. female’s belly when she swam about three inches over my head, and the male and I had a staring contest face to face at six inches (I was WAY too fascinated to be in the least bit frightened.) Interesting to look down the throat of that many-toothed critter when all that is between you is your mask. I, wisely I think, gave him the right of way and drifted down enough to let him pass. That is a lot of fish! I did get in oodles of play time with the Sand Bars and the Southern Rays. The grouper pretty much ignored me, but he did dog my buddy’s feet demanding to be petted. Twenty or so of the Butterflies greatly enjoyed a sand shower, rolling every which way to allow the sand I was sprinkling on them to scratch their bodies.

I will dream tonight, with a wide smile on my face, about my eye-level contact with these awesome entities. Wish you could have been there.

Ray

Very nice Ray.

I can actually see it!!!!
Getting to do this is definitely a goal for me. :)

I guess they won't let you take pictures, huh?

pennypue:
Very nice Ray.

I can actually see it!!!!
Getting to do this is definitely a goal for me. :)

I guess they won't let you take pictures, huh?

No they don't. But I surely do wish they did.

dripdrypoet:
No they don't. But I surely do wish they did.

I'm still trying to figure out why you have to have AOW. Is it just because they want to weed out beginners, the number of volenteers, or is it because of the navigation of the aquarium? I find it interesting that they require this when they only require OW for Disney's Aquarium...

Just my 2 cents

rpayne:
I'm still trying to figure out why you have to have AOW. Is it just because they want to weed out beginners, the number of volenteers, or is it because of the navigation of the aquarium? I find it interesting that they require this when they only require OW for Disney's Aquarium...

Just my 2 cents

Probably pretty much all of the above. A diver does need almost perfect buoyancy control, without really thinking about it, due to the possibility of severe injuries that can result from stepping on some of the creatures. None of our animals are "fixed," and they are all fully armed and dangerous. Put that together with the necessity of navigating in some very confined places and a beginner would be at a definite disadvantage. Believe me; you don't want to get nailed by a Southern Ray or ensnarled in the teeth of an eel.

The divers at the Aquarium probably do many more tasks than the ones at Disney, too. We catch, examine, feed, and take care of all of our wards, with the support and help of the magnificent professional staff. Show me the beginning diver who would go on hookah, without fins, into the tank with the Leopard Sharks (they LOVE to have their tummies scratched) … or the piranha, or the octopus, or the morays. Somebody has to clean the exhibits.

I guess what I am saying is that the job is not diving, it is husbandry. The diving has to be second nature and not require any conscious attention. Although we do have several divers who only have the AOW, the vast majority are pretty well seasoned. The shark tank dive I talked about, for example … my two buddies were both in their 60s, ex Navy divers, one UDT the other wouldn’t say (so you gotta think SEAL), and I did my first dive in 1965.

Ray

Hi Ray, Are you still diving at the Aquarium? I just finished my AOW and in a a few weeks I will be spending a week on a liveaboard in the Bahamas. By the time I get back, I'm hoping my buoyancy control will be instinctual enough that I could try out as a NA volunteer diver. Do you know if they are in need of more volunteers right now?

I've visited Newport Aquarium twice, although I've never dove it (that would be something else...). On one trip, I saw a big loggerhead nip a diver's fin - it was a curious, exploratory gesture from what I could see, not aggressive, but that turtle's got some jaws! I was thinking there were a couple of them when I saw that, but I don't remember for certain. Wonder if I saw the legendary Denver?

For those interested, Newport, KY is across the Ohio River from Cincinnati, Ohio. The tank he's talking about is one of those huge acrylic (I think) tunnel tanks you walk through watching animals swim around & over you.

I haven't been in awhile, but it's a neat place. I live down in Hopkinsville in western KY, so for me Newport is quite a drive.

Richard.

P.S.: If you travel to stay there, you might also plan to hit the Cincinnati Zoo while you're in the area. I always plan to stay overnight at a hotel like Holiday Inn.

Ray - Welcome to the Crew! I worked a shift yesterday. Caribbean Cove needed a wipe down so I got to visit with Jen (the eel). I had not been in the water with her since she was moved from Shark. We moved to Shark for the second dive to clean the glass and look for teeth for WAVE foundation jewelry. Hope to dive with you someday. Congratulations. Steve

I hope to one day be able to get on there as a volunteer diver. I love the Newport AQ and I love diving.

Back
Top Bottom