Rinsing regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wstein:
So where do you recommend we wash our regs, since the rinse tanks is nasty and the bathtub is nasty?

Well, that is my question. I've been rinsing my reg in rinse thanks for the past 3 years until it dawned on me this last trip, and I came home with sinusitis and a cold, that maybe these rinse tanks are laden with bacteria & pee. If the rinse thank is a problem, the hotel bathtub is certainly not the answer. I say a hose or spicket.

hawk2:
omg pilot are u one of those ppl who open doors with napkins on their hands, constantly clean their house? man as that guy said go to the mountain and stop diving, or better yet dont move the germs might get u....

It's not the diving, it's what we do with our regs after we dive -pee tanks? no tanks :crafty:

pilot fish:
... I came home with sinusitis and a cold, that maybe these rinse tanks are laden with bacteria & pee. ...
I would put money on the airplane ride (either there, back or both).

pilot fish:
Hotel bathtub? That's cleaner than the rinse tank? IDONTTHINKSO. What do thousands of people do in those bathtubs, per year? Washing their what? YUCK!! Do you really think they put clorox in those tubs? Of the two, rinse tank please, unless, of course, you see some diver scrubbing his booty in there.
.............. the hotels I stay with usually don't have tubs of water with slime and alage that haven't been changed in a week. If you have running water in the bathroom then it's bound to be cleaner than what's at dockside or in the tank. If your bathtub is dirty then call housekeeping to come clean it ..... they should do it everyday anyway in a good hotel. In Grand Cayman my hotel had a dive gear cleanning station next to the pool. A lot of divers did jump into the hotel pool to rinse their gear that way also. Anyway it's just a quick fix until you can get the stuff home for a good cleaning.

pilot fish:
Hotel bathtub? That's cleaner than the rinse tank? IDONTTHINKSO. What do thousands of people do in those bathtubs, per year? Washing their what? YUCK!! Do you really think they put clorox in those tubs? Of the two, rinse tank please, unless, of course, you see some diver scrubbing his booty in there.

I think we've finally gotten to the bottom of this. Someone needs a germ bubble. :wink: I'm betting you're the person who takes their own sheets to the hotel and wraps themself up inside their own sheets so the hotel sheets don't touch them. If you're worried about the hotel bathtub, I've got bad news for you. Hotels don't change the quilt and blankets after every check-out, just the sheets. Don't let your reg touch the quilt! :11: Seriously, how often do you think a dive boat scrubs out their dunk tank? They aren't putting soap in when they fill it with fresh water. How about just holding your stuff under the shower for a while in the hotel room? And then watch the Seinfeld episode where Putty reveals he's a germophobe.

you cant worry about everything that might get stuff on ur reg. uv bean cleaning it in the tank for 3 years and u dont have herpies and ur not dead, doesnt that tell u something?

After seeing all the disgusting stuff in the pool I was helping in this weekend, a little "P" on my reg is the least of my worries.

Kamala:
I think we've finally gotten to the bottom of this. Someone needs a germ bubble. :wink: I'm betting you're the person who takes their own sheets to the hotel and wraps themself up inside their own sheets so the hotel sheets don't touch them. If you're worried about the hotel bathtub, I've got bad news for you. Hotels don't change the quilt and blankets after every check-out, just the sheets. Don't let your reg touch the quilt! :11: Seriously, how often do you think a dive boat scrubs out their dunk tank? They aren't putting soap in when they fill it with fresh water. How about just holding your stuff under the shower for a while in the hotel room? And then watch the Seinfeld episode where Putty reveals he's a germophobe.

omg! My reg has lain on many a hotel quilt, the quilt that people with bare butts sit on and that some people get Biblical on. I never thought of that before. You can be sure I'm rinisng that mouth piece out with alcohol right now. Can you imagine that some divers rent regs? This is getting worse by the minute.

Like someone said in a previous post, carry two or three big bottles of bottled water. You can re-hydrate and rinse your regulators with asssured safety.

You could also carry a small bottle of Listerine. Rinse your regs with that and then rinse them with the bottled water.

Just as an aside, I use a diluted solution of Listerine to rinse out my wing bladder after diving. A dilute solution of Listerine wash and then a couple of fresh water rinses. Be sure to rinse your inflator hose very good. The corrugations are great areas for bacterial growth.

The Kraken:
Like someone said in a previous post, carry two or three big bottles of bottled water. You can re-hydrate and rinse your regulators with asssured safety.

You could also carry a small bottle of Listerine. Rinse your regs with that and then rinse them with the bottled water.

Just as an aside, I use a diluted solution of Listerine to rinse out my wing bladder after diving. A dilute solution of Listerine wash and then a couple of fresh water rinses. Be sure to rinse your inflator hose very good. The corrugations are great areas for bacterial growth.

I can't believe I have not been doing any of this. Are you taking about the bladder in your bc - pour a listerine solution into inflator hose to fill bc bladder? I've only poured fresh water in it to get rid of salt but never thought of bacteria. I will no longer put my reg in rinse tank but clean it in shower or use a hose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom