1st trip to Keys...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil

Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings,

Newbie here, looking for some insight on the Keys....My 28th Ann. and my brides 48th Birthday this August and I wanted to surprise her with a tirp to the Keys.

Looking for one of you, who has spent some time down there and knows the area.

I am looking for an operation that might be located on a beach... so that we can relax after we dive on a beach and not a swimming pool....(strange what's important to people)

I am looking for an place that has nice facilities, clean, and good food! It doesn't have to be the Hilton, but this IS a special occasion (aren't they all)

One of you know's just the right place......HELP!

Phil

My wife and I were in Key Largo last month and stayed at Bay Side resort. It was a basic hotel room but they had a sandy "beach" with a swimming area and pool. The water was about 4 feet deep off their dock and very clear, on my first night there I snorkeled for about 30 minutes. There is a restrant next door but it's kind of pricey, but great drinks.
They also had better rooms with the frills for a little more bucks.

Look up Amy Slate for your dive boat, I was impressed with the boat crew.

I would suggest driving south from there a few miles to Tavernier and dive with Conch Republic Divers, some good folks.....ask about "drift diving".

Sounds to me like you're looking for something kind of "special" for the occasions. I'd suggest the Westin at about MM 98 on Hwy 1 between Key Largo and Tavernier. A bit pricey, but about the best the Upper Keys has to offer. You'll also have close access to everything from Key Largo to Islamorada.

The Keys are not noted for beaches.....all coral rocks on the Ocean side. On the Bay side, most of the motels have water frontage with something that "passes" for a beach. The beach at the Westin is quite nice.

There are over 40 dive operators in this area. Personally, I would recommend Tavernier Dive Center at MM 97.6 just across Tavernier Creek to dive Davis Reef and Conch Reef and the Bibb, Duane, and Eagle wrecks.

I would recommend Quiescence Divers at MM 103.5 in Key Largo for diving Molassas Reef, Elbow Reef, French Reef and the Benwood wreck. However, there are other good operations and if you want an opinion on others just e-mail me direct.

I spend my winters in Tavernier and know most the operations pretty well.

Everyone seems to be thinking upper keys. I would check out the lower and middle keys if I were you.

Key West has the only real beaches in the Keys and Looe (not sure that's spelled right) Key has some of the best diving in the Keys.

Also there are major resorts down that way. I like the Hyatt, but pretty much every major has a nice property on the island.

If you are thinking of the Middle Keys, Hawk's Cay Resort (Duck Key) is nice and there is a dive boat that leaves from their marina. I learned to dive with The Diving Site (www.divingsite.com) in Marathon. The crew there is great.

Hope this helps a little

I'm no Keys Expert, but I spent 3 weeks ther in April and I'm going back with my family for 10 days in June.
From what I could tell, the upper and middle keys are much more laid back and somewhat more budget minded than the lower keys.
As noted above, the Keys are not all about Beaches....

The Bayside is a nice place, a friend of mine stayed there during April.
I can highly recommend Ocean Divers in Key Largo for anything you need dive related if you end up staying in the upper keys. They have two great boats (40' +, including a Newton 46) and have a very professional staff. They also have a two bedroom apartment with a nice screened in porch that you can rent during your stay, if you are looking for something "homey" instead of a hotel room. They aren't the least expensive operation, but they are quality. The "Scuba-Doo" is another operation in the Key LArgo area that I can recommend.

There is also the Undersea Lodge... but that is really just a "got the T-shirt" kinda thing. I wouldn't recommend planning a vacation (much less a romantic one) around staying there!

I really appreciate the suggestions about the Keys.... We have decided on an outfit called "Amy Slate's Dive Resort" in the Key Largo area... It is kinda in the middle of the pack in terms of price and my LDS gave it a thumbs up.

We have reserved 5 night with them which means at least 8 or 9 dives if all goes well.... and then we will drive down to Key West for some sight seeing. We found a place down there called the Heron House that looked like a nice place to relaxe before flying back to Oregon.

Again thanks for the suggestions.
Phil

Cool... I just found out this morning that Slate's recieved special permission to take a select group of divers out on the Spiegel Grove disaster area yesterday. Word was that is was pretty darn cool. I hope they get that thing at lesat down on its side by the time I get down there!

Slate's is a long established and well respected dive operation.....very active in the dive community in the Upper Keys. I've never stayed at the resort, but it looks great from the road.

The Heron House in Key West is on Simonton Street in the heart of the Old Town area. You'll be within walking distance of almost everything except places like the Hemmingway House which is nearer the south beach section of town.

Have a ball in the Keys!

Phil,
Sounds like ya'll have a great trip ahead of you. Slates a decent choice for accomadations and dive op. Since you're headed to Key West, you may want to stop by Bahi Honda state park. there's a great beach and some fair snorkling. It's located about half way across the seven mile bridge, a real pretty place. Don't forget to bring or pick up a tow along dive flag for shore trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom