Need a little help fine tuning my bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi there Grier -

If you really really want to do a budda hover with a bp then you should probably switch to an aluminium plate and tank, put some weight on your front and maybe add some extra weight on your waist so you can then add some extra air to the wings - that should counterbalance the roll, but its not going to help your trim for the rest of the dive...

Cheers,
Rohan.

You are welcome.

I think the Buddha position is only useful for making an impression on the impressionable.

An even better way to make an impression on the impressionable is to hover supine at 30' and then ascend at 30fpm and stop exactly at 20' and hover right lateral recumbent with your left fin on your right knee. (This assumes your drysuit exhaust valve is on the left arm. :D)

Thats a good look - a sort of ‘come hither’ position?

GrierHPharmD:
Maybe somebody here can offer some insight:

I've just switched to a BP/Wings setup (DiveRite Transplate with Venture Wings. I typically dive a PST100 tank and wear a 3mm jumpsuit. I've been working on fine-tuning my bouyancy, but for the life of me, I can't seem to execute a Buddha-style hover without tipping to my right side or backward. :11: I'm guessing it has something to do with my tank position, but I'm not sure how to correct it.

For the record, with the above setup, I use no additional weight. I've got an M22 Abyss on a 7 ft hose, with my octo around my neck.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this would be greatly appreciated. My horizontal bouyancy is pretty good, I can do the typical upside down, inverted roll, etc., but I just can't seem to make the sitting posture work for me. It's irritating!

Thanks in advance,
Grier

Simple to fix. Wear a weight belt (even though you don't need it) and put all the weight (3 lbs. should do it) in the front! Only time I ever do this is when demonstrating "hover" for OW classes in the swimming pool.

Yes, it is impressive, especially with legs crossed and holding the fin tips with the opposite hands.

And yes, it is totally useless as a diving skill.

theskull

I agree about its uselessness. Just reviewing my options for the IDC, where the Buddha hover is one of the skills that I have to do. I think I've decided to give up and wear my old OW rig, complete with short hose primary regulator, jacket style BC and weight belt. Then, once I'm certed, I'll switch to my real rig.

Nothing wrong with being versatile, I suppose.

Thanks for all of the advice and input. I really like the idea of wearing a weight belt to trim out.

See you folks underwater,
Grier

What you want to do is lower the tank as much as possible. a lower center of gravity makes you more stable. You could still be tilting backwards, but not as much as before. The last bit could be trimmed with a weight belt.

The kneeling position as taught by PADI is a fundamental skill.

This position will be used throughout the diver's career and is especially important for the PADI tech diver to have mastered as it is used to maintain depth during deco stops on shore dives.

PADI tech boat divers benefit from earlier courses that have students hanging on a line along the bottom. This fundamental skill later translates into the vertical upline so important to the PADI tech boat diver.

grier, are you wearing a light? where/how heavy is it? mel was having a roll problem that turned out to be the light.

and without the buddha position, how are you going to light the underwater incense & meditate? see, it's a very important thing.

Back
Top Bottom