Curious Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks you all.
I see your point now on why the reg swapping is done this way.
Another thing added to my list of "Newbie things to know".

Thanks all

Mick :peace:

Surely a 5-7' hose would be anything but streamlined and prone to snagging in the tight confines of a wreck or cave.
The longer octy with its colour coding and placement within a conveniently located 'lemon' on the jacket would seem the most practical.I've never seen anyone dive with a secondary
reg looped around their neck in 16 yrs of diving.Is this taught as a serious option? From my experience the easier that a diver can access your secondary reg the better.That's why they recommend longer hoses for octy's.
Surely rather than all the need for extra courses it would be better to train and dive with those people who moniter their air properly.What if the panicked diver goes for the reg on the neck instead?Surely that would endanger both divers! I personally would not dive with that configuration and I don't believe it is taught in the southern hemisphere
which is why Mick you wouldn't be aware of it.As Ozzie and Kiwi divers have one of the highest average dives per year ratios in the world perhaps we aren't as much in need of refresher type courses that seem to be an option of those further north who have problems with weather,seasonal and location problems,having to travel to find sites and do less than 20 dives per year.Gasman

Actually, the long hoses were developed in cave/wreck diving. The reasoning is such: if you're in a confined area and one of you is out of air, there is no way that you can swim out of the cave/wreck with anything shorter than 5-7 ft of hose. With the longer hose your OOA buddy can follow in single file behind you thru any restriction that you could get thru.

As to the OOA diver grabbing the necklace reg, those that have been in these situations say that they're going for the one in your mouth whether you like it or not!

Hi Greg,

The thing that has been absent from these discussions regarding the "long hose" is that the extra hose is not simply left "flapping in the breeze". For a single tank diver, I've had several people recommend a 5 foot hose (7 foot is more appropriate for doubles). The routing goes as follows -- down the right side of your tank, under your right arm, diagonally up across the front of your chest, around the back of your neck and into your mouth. For a picture, see the following link from scubadiving.com:

http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?f=1&i=234249&t=234241

I am about to buy a new reg set-up and am considering this set-up (I am a single tank diver only). Even though this hose config takes care of the "snag" concern, I still have concerns about the ease of getting the hose unwound when you need to use it in an out of air emergency. I asked this question further down the same thread over on scubadiving.com -- take a look:

http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?f=1&i=234331&t=234241

Hope this is helpful.

I'll check your sites out.Who actually teaches the course in this? Maybe I can find a N.Z. source as I'm about to start some serious wrecking.gasnman

Greg,

One of the sports biggest proponents of DIR diving lives right in your neck of the woods, Simon Hartley, lives in Australia so if you have any doubts, check out Austrailian DIR

ID

Thanks Don,
A good web page with alot of detail.I'll look over it over the next few days.By the way,what's with the lizards? Are you a collector? Give me the gen,please.Chow from the Gasman.

Don

When the weather gets warm, I get up early and stay outside until I get ready to sleep. Love the hot weather, an old girlfriend said I was part reptile (I think she meant snake)
and tagged me with the name Iguana Don.

ID

Back
Top Bottom