Mares new limited edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Went early to wait for Shop in NYC to open, waiting in the cold with anticipation building up. Well, I was the only one in the city to be interested. Nobody else showed up during the 1.5 hours I spent trying the 3 LE items.

First, the fins are ugly. I never had Mares fins, didn't feel comfortable with the buckles. I already have 2 pairs, Tusa and SPro, so I passed on the fins ($249 + tax).

The BC is a slight modification of the Morphos Pro, which I have been using for some time now. Better: the heavy paddings on the shoulders and the top of the back, colors are slightly better (Airtrim is black and grey, not yellow and grey), denim is lighter and better quality with less drag according to the salesman. Worse: D rings allocation. The big one above the right side pocket, the only one I really use on the Morphos Pro is.... gone. There are now 4 absolutely useless D-rings on the shoulders. Pockets seem a little smaller, but not sure. Not sure if the price increment to the Morphos Pro is justified. I would have bought it if I didn't have the M Pro. All in all, I would recommend it, the same way as I would recommend the M Pro, if you can allow the price difference ($849 + tax).

The Reg is beautiful. Smallest first stage I've ever seen, second stage is a really cool looking proton metal (metal part is dark, not silver look). I've seen 2 sets, both were scratched though, not so big of a turnoff since it will be scratched anyway underwater. Purchased one ($699 + tax), without octo, will check if there is a proton metal octo.

All in all, I was pretty disappointed by the anti-climactic result. Nothing revolutionary at all, just items to show off that you're willing to spend money to own a numbered piece, except maybe for the reg, which is, again, beautiful. Would have been cool to see metal mask, metal order-made wetsuits and dry, metal bags etc, but not necessarily LE.

Blancpain did a better job in PR and advertising with the 50 fathoms anniversary than Mares with this metal LE. Mares expects revenue from this of 2,000 * $2,000 = $4M (good luck to Mares to get rid of inventory). Blancpain with a smaller revenue expectation (150 * $15,000 = $2.25M) sold out everything in matter of days.

$850 for a jacket BC?
$700 for a regulator?
$250 for a pair of fins?

So, as it turns out, "Limited Edition" actually meant "small cosmetic changes for a super premium price."

aquaoren:
Let me see if I get it right: You guys don't have a clue what is going on and what they will be releasing but you are SURE that it will NOT be ground breaking or at least of interest.......Hmmmm, nice, eh?
Sorry oren, I think Boogie nailed it :wink:

stefano di martino:
Limited edition March 2005 is a very unique event in Diving. We will propose something totally new in diving.
Still stand by that statement?

longimanus:
...snip...The Reg is beautiful. Smallest first stage I've ever seen, second stage is a really cool looking proton metal (metal part is dark, not silver look). I've seen 2 sets, both were scratched though, not so big of a turnoff since it will be scratched anyway underwater. Purchased one ($699 + tax), without octo, will check if there is a proton metal octo.

Did you try breathing on it? At depth? Or did you just buy it because it was beautiful? Just curious how it performs.

Three hours after the waiting in the cold, the anticipation building, the testing, and the anti-climax, the only thing that remains is actually anger. For waking up early on a saturday. For letting me be fooled by poor PR. For purchasing an item I already own for a higher price. The worst is: I like Mares, I like their design far better than the ugly design from their american competitors, I like their slightly elitist corporate brand, I like their BC.

I now feel betrayed.

Message to their CEO: please come up with something really revolutionary, good-looking, fairly priced, otherwise you will lose your hard-earned repeat customers. The Metal LE stunt will be remembered as a failure. Hope at least that the VIP status on the LE website brings some kind of benefit...

stefano di martino:
Ciao, yes you are right the regulator for the Limited Edition is very cool and it is very technological as well. It is a very light regulator and the performance are at the top....and on top of that we have something that you can do that will make you UNIQUE. Ciao. Stefano

In light of Tech Admins post and yours here............................................... :06:

Is this going to be enviromentally sealed :06:
Is the mouth peice going to be a little more comfy :06:
Can you really make it lighter :06: If so, Why :06:
Can you make and sell it cheaper :06:
will it increase the service interval :06:
Have you stopped all possiblity of free flow :06:

The list is endless.....................................................................................

Please note EVERYBODY, I am a BIG fan of Mares gear, just ordered another set of regs at LIDS :D

But as Boogie says most of these things are marketing ploys..................

I seriuosly hope I am wrong :11:

On another note, why don't Mares sell their wonderful colourful wetsuits in Europe that they sell in Japan?

They have missed a trick with the Ladies there :wink:

"Nothing revolutionary at all,"

As I recall I was kinda dismissed by the Mares Man for stating my opinion on the "revolutionary" product I wanted which was service and customer support. Sooooooo, now that we know what this amazing equipment is--what would you rather have, Mares equipment with excellent parts, service, customer support---OR-----this new supposedly revolutionary never before seen, better than better, gooder than good, antigravity and probably not a single extra part in existence for it, Limited stuff?

Hmmmmm, just about what I figured, I think I will pass, Mr. Mares Man, what makes this revolutionary, please edify me. N

I like the products from the design point of view and especially the reg but I have to agree with the others that I don't see anything revolutionary either.
I hate to admit it because I like Mares products and have plenty of them but it appears that Boogie and Jonnythan were right. Damn you :D

Good call Boogie711. Wanna know why the prices are so high? Someone has to pay for the advertising....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom