So....what is a DM anyway?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kim

Here for my friends.....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
When I was doing my OW in Venezuela on our way to a checkout dive another instructor from another group made the announcement that a young lad with them had just passed his DM cert, so we all clapped and congratulated him. I asked my instructor what exactly a DM was and he told me that they basically were the guys who organized the dive trips and looked after safety, normally staying on the boat and seeing people into and out of the water, as well as pre-dive briefings.
These days I've seen them doing a lot more than that: guiding divers, holding their hands(Japan), putting down the anchors or attaching tie in's, loading the boat. I have also heard about even more roles: assisting instructors and acting as a general dogsbody in dive shops.
So what is a DM really? What should you or shouldn't you expect from a DM? What makes a good DM? or a bad one? Is there a difference between a PADI DM and the equivalent from other agencies?

Well - that's helpful! :06:

From the PADI web site:

What can PADI Divemasters do?

Work at local dive centers, on live-aboard dive boats, yachts and at exotic resort locations
Assist PADI Instructors with students
Lead PADI Scuba Divers on guided dive tours
Teach and certify PADI Skin Divers
Teach PADI Discover Snorkeling programs
Conduct PADI Scuba Review programs for certified divers
Lead certified divers on Discover Local Diving experiences
Teach Emergency First Response programs after successful completion of an Emergency First Response Instructor course

I really like the part about, "exotic resort locations".
So, dive "Master", like "Master of the Universe", only underwater. :wink:

Maybe the intent of this thread wasn't clear enough to start with. I often see posts on SB talking about what DM's did or didn't do. Sometimes it's critical. Sometimes people say things like...'but you shouldn't rely on a DM for that' etc.
I started this thread to try to clarify those kinds of comments.

Kim,

As a DM my feeling is that we are responsible for the care of the people that we are leading. We ensure the safetly of the divers....as best as possible....and are requried to go through a variety of training to ensure this. A DM is meant to be a leader and is trained in managing situations that may arise with people who do not have a great deal of experience in diving. We are there to answer questions and do a lot of the grunt work that is required in preparing a for a dive. This can include anything from handling the boat, giving the initial talk about the area you will be diving to making sure that lunch is available. We can also assist instructors with OW students.
The primary focus though is to make sure that the diver/client has a safe and happy dive.

BigboyDan:
PADI DMs are the greatest divers in the world.

say, BigboyDan, you wouldn't happen to be a PADI DM now, would you? :wink:

Here in this part of the world the DM's main tasks is to help out the instructors during training and manage the dives a LDS arranges (from land). Guiding divers underwater is quite rare. Some also work in the shop selling stuff.

Back
Top Bottom