Advice: dive op. in Grand Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AllanHarr

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm taking family and friends on a dive vacation to the Grand Caymans in August. We're staying near six mile beach. Any advice regarding a dive operator??

Many thanks,

It depends on what you're looking for but a couple good ones that come to mind are:

For smaller boats:
Neptune Divers
Wall to Wall Diving
Red Baron
Off the Wall

For slighter larger boats:
Dive Tech

Good luck and have lots of fun. :wink:

My favorite dive op on GC by far is Divetech. While they're located away from 7 mile beach, they will pick you up and take you back so that's not an issue. Larger boats, but never feels crowded. Excellent dive ops. First rate all around.

sdwho

AllanHarr:
I'm taking family and friends on a dive vacation to the Grand Caymans in August. We're staying near six mile beach. Any advice regarding a dive operator??

Many thanks,

AllanHarr:
Grand Caymans six mile beach. ??

Oh, do you mean Grand Cayman.........and do you mean seven mile beach? :dazzler1:

ScubaTexas:
It depends on what you're looking for but a couple good ones that come to mind are:

For smaller boats:
Neptune Divers
Wall to Wall Diving
Red Baron
Off the Wall

For slighter larger boats:
Dive Tech

Good luck and have lots of fun. :wink:

Hi Scuba Texas,
Thanks for the plug, it's always appreciated, but please don't forget that both ourselves (Wall to Wall Diving) and Neptune's run large boats but we only take small groups!

Our boats are 36' and 32' whilst Neptune's runs a 30' (sorry if I got that wrong Casey!)I believe but neither of us take more than 8 divers.

This compares very favourably with Divetech's 38' and 34' boats with larger groups.

Small group diving doesn't have to mean small boats!!

Take care, CJ.

AllanHarr:

Many thanks,

There are some dive ops right on 7MB.
Neptunes, Seven Mile Watersports and Treasure Island Divers just to name a few.

Really, your choice would depend on several factors.
Where are you're staying?
Experience levels?
How much diving do you want to do? ( 2 tanks am only vs. 5 dives a day)
What type diving do you want? (Reefs vs. walls and such)
How much or how little do you want to have to mess with your gear?
How much time do you want to commit to diving? Half hour from your room to in the water (7MB area) or an Hour and a half (East End)?
Do you want to do night boat dives?

Personally, I've dove with Neptunes, Treasure Island, and Seven Mile Watersports. All three are right on 7MB, all three have their good and bad points.

Let us know a little more, and we can make a more educated recommendation.

CJ's:
Hi Scuba Texas,
Thanks for the plug, it's always appreciated, but please don't forget that both ourselves (Wall to Wall Diving) and Neptune's run large boats but we only take small groups!

Our boats are 36' and 32' whilst Neptune's runs a 30' (sorry if I got that wrong Casey!)I believe but neither of us take more than 8 divers.

This compares very favourably with Divetech's 38' and 34' boats with larger groups.

Take care, CJ.

Deanna, that is my mistake. Sorry for any confusion. In retrospect, I definately could have worded that much better. Perhaps I should have phrased it as "if looking for an operation that caters to smaller groups", then look at those. Deanna and Giles have a lovely nice size boat that could hold many more divers but they typically only take about 8 divers out. Neptune is the same. The others listed in that section cater to small groups but have slightly smaller boats.

AllanHarr:

Many thanks,

My favorite operator on GC for the fast few years has been SunSet Divers at Sunset house. I have used DiveTech in the past and was happy with them..

I am leaving for Gc this saturday, and some issues that concern my group (specific gear needs and support) would normally would not have been a problem but things happen.. Nancy at Divetech is going to give us all the suppor we need while we stay at Sunset House..

Nancy is definately going out of her way to help us out.. Divetech deserves all the business you can give them..

Thanks Nancy..

All of these are solid questions! This is why this forum is such a great way to get info.

We will be diving morning dives only; two AM dives as early as possible. We will probably arrange two night dives during the week. Location of the dive facility isn't critical, yes I'd like it to be close; but who really cares?? The main purpose of the dives is photography. Divers are experienced, with the lowest cert level a master diver. (All else are instructor or DM's).

Like everyone, who doesn't like to be without the crowd???

Thanks for everyone's help.

TruckDiver:
There are some dive ops right on 7MB.
Neptunes, Seven Mile Watersports and Treasure Island Divers just to name a few.

Really, your choice would depend on several factors.
Where are you're staying?
Experience levels?
How much diving do you want to do? ( 2 tanks am only vs. 5 dives a day)
What type diving do you want? (Reefs vs. walls and such)
How much or how little do you want to have to mess with your gear?
How much time do you want to commit to diving? Half hour from your room to in the water (7MB area) or an Hour and a half (East End)?
Do you want to do night boat dives?

Personally, I've dove with Neptunes, Treasure Island, and Seven Mile Watersports. All three are right on 7MB, all three have their good and bad points.

Let us know a little more, and we can make a more educated recommendation.

CJ's:
Hi Scuba Texas,

Take care, CJ.
Good point, CJ! Small groups doesnt mean small boats. But, alas, you are correct...our boat is only 30 ft :)
Cheers ~ Casey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom