Mares new limited edition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I just called my LDS (in Bangkok, Thailand) as I was interested in taking a look at the new Metal Tech reg - they promptly informed me that, yes, they had five LE Metal sets in stock but that if someone wanted to buy a reg, they'd have to buy the Morphos Metal BC and Quattro Excel Metal fins as well! Apparently the three LE Metal items are sold as a set here in Thailand and cannot be purchased seperately - what a nice scam.

Whatever the hype, it may not be revolutionary but what the heck were you expecting aqualungs or screw fins?

It's entertainment and to the select few who get this set of gear, it's all bout bragging rights... right?

What the heck at least I got 2 outta 3 right and at least I don't have to put my Legend on Ebay LOL!

SangP

Boogie711:
Larry, you're missing the point.

This isn't a Chevy with the same four tires - it's a Chevy with the same engine, transmission and frame, but with different body panels to make it smaller on the inside.

Furthermore, it's the same Chevy delivered with great hype after the Chevy dealers all promised us that we were going to see a "revolutionary" new product that only a select few people would be lucky enough to buy.

You've taken one of these apart?? I would not say "same engine, transmission, and frame. We're talking 1 spherical core seat and poppett... eveything else, the porting, the external dfc adjustments, 4 dfc ports... all new. Making it the smallest, lightest high performance reg there is. So I would say it's not the same engine... just the same cam shaft - but all new valve design, injectors, etc.

And as far as hype... If I buy bud, 2 blond twins are going to want me. Open a bottle of sierra mist is an experience equal to rubbing ice cubes on a sweaty brunette, and if I just watch the bow flex video... I'll have ripped abs in 20 seconds a day!

So every company gets excited about their products and want to push them... was it over-hype? I dunno... Are they getting over-bash?? I'd say so. Interesting I've had several board members come in to look at the products in my store because of everyone bashing them. "I had to come see this for myself what all the talk was about.." So I guess the bashers here are sending as much interest in the product as the ads....

scubatoys:
If I buy bud, 2 blond twins are going to want me. Open a bottle of sierra mist is an experience equal to rubbing ice cubes on a sweaty brunette, and if I just watch the bow flex video... I'll have ripped abs in 20 seconds a day!

Dang it Larry! I was going to go pick up a bud and a sierra mist so I could rub ice cubes on twins right after picking up the bow flex video so I would be in good enough shape to handle them both. Now I am just disappointed that it was all a lie. :D

I think there is a lot of hidden aggression from other things fueling this thread. Some unrealistic expectations were created from the hype, a few ex-Decor owners pissed off because they have no parts, and a bit of mob mentality keeping it all going. I popped off a few jokes riding the band wagon, but now this thread is just getting old.

Save for finding out why the first stage failed, I really don't see much value in this thread. If these items didn't float your boat, tell Mares what you want. Hopefully they know you want replacement parts and the Decor move lost them come customer loyalty. I used to have all mares stuff, but switched to Scuba Pro because I thought the quality was better (hype or real that was my view). I still have my quantto(?) fins and love them. My old abyss/mr22 worked great, now the theif that took it is probalby enjoying it.

Flame away, but don't you think your time is worth more doing something productive then restating the same comment over and over again?

Have a great day,
Later

Michael Freeman:
...Save for finding out why the first stage failed, I really don't see much value in this thread... Later

I will post as soon as I hit the dive shop this weekend; all I know right now is what I saw: during initial gear setup on the pool deck the first stage leaked so the student was given a backup regulator to start his class. I let the dive shop know of Mr. Martino’s concern with the first stage leak yesterday, but my call was never returned…Oh well!!!

I have the impression that Mares is a company that uses more Buzz in order to sell its product than research.
Now they just give a mettalic look to their products, so they seems more technical and duarble.
It's a personal point of view, but despite the hype surrounding it's creative technologies, Mares products have been, when i tried them, no better than the competition.
All they do is create good sale pitch in order to justify high prices.

Bernard

laazur:
I have the impression that Mares is a company that uses more Buzz in order to sell its product than research.
I'm not sure that's a fair conclusion to draw from this thread. IMO, the CEO misunderstood the audience here and made a mistake... the mistake was thinking that he was an advertising executive. I don't think it's right to conclude that Mares as a company is greedy or guilty of misrepresenting anything, or that there's anything wrong with its product line or practices. The CEO came here, gave us his time, made a mistake, now let's get over it. We appreciate that he's paying attention, hopefully it will be constructive.

laazur:
Now they just give a mettalic look to their products, so they seems more technical and duarble.
It's a personal point of view, but despite the hype surrounding it's creative technologies, Mares products have been, when i tried them, no better than the competition.
All they do is create good sale pitch in order to justify high prices.

Bernard
Couldn't agree less. If you'll look at their products, than you'll see that they are really more innovative than other and their products are among the best IMO.
Look at their masks: Whether you like it or not, the ESA was innovative. No other mask offered 6 windows (regardless whether you need them or no) and I know diver who still wouldn't give away their ESA for any other mask. The X-Vision is one of the best selling masks currently and it has a reason as I found out after trying one.
BC's: Whether you like their pneumatic buoyancy control or not, they were the first to develope it and other companies are following now.
Fins: 1/2 of the fins out there are Mares Knockoffs and the other half are Mares fins (a little exaggarated :wink:) beside a small number that uses Jets or turtles. No other company developed a robot to test fins beside Mares. Isn't it just innovative?
Regs: The MR22/Abyss is one of the most solid and best performers around. If it would be DIR conform, I wouldn't even be looking into other regs. This thing is so though that I could use it as a hammer to put nails in the wall and go diving with it afterwards.
We could go on and on but I assume you get the idea :wink:
So when looking at the big picture, I'd rather say that Mares is defenitely more innovative than most other companies and is trying to bring new things to Scuba Diving. Whether you personally accept these things as neccessary and required is a completely different question.

scubatoys:
You've taken one of these apart?? I would not say "same engine, transmission, and frame. We're talking 1 spherical core seat and poppett... eveything else, the porting, the external dfc adjustments, 4 dfc ports... all new. Making it the smallest, lightest high performance reg there is. So I would say it's not the same engine... just the same cam shaft - but all new valve design, injectors, etc.

And as far as hype... If I buy bud, 2 blond twins are going to want me. Open a bottle of sierra mist is an experience equal to rubbing ice cubes on a sweaty brunette, and if I just watch the bow flex video... I'll have ripped abs in 20 seconds a day!

So every company gets excited about their products and want to push them... was it over-hype? I dunno... Are they getting over-bash?? I'd say so. Interesting I've had several board members come in to look at the products in my store because of everyone bashing them. "I had to come see this for myself what all the talk was about.." So I guess the bashers here are sending as much interest in the product as the ads....

Larry as you know I have some Mares stuff (bought from you :eyebrow: ) but come on...................... Yes they could have improved the gas flow by design, but as far as I can see, and correct me if I'm wrong, this reg set still is not sealed, WHY............. ?

What changes have been made to the second?

They are quoting £180 for the fins in the UK, leave it out..................

If this technology is so good then Mares will build it into their kit in the future. You are a very good buisnessman, you know only to well how much money Mares would have spent developing this new technology, 2000 units world wide, NO WAY can they recover the costs, so these features will be on "Normal Kit" within 18 months. :wink:

Or I'll eat the Abyss you sold me :11:

First off, welcome Mr Di Martino to Scubaboard. It is not always easy being a manufacturer and posting here, but I don't think you will find an easily accessable, brutaly honest collection of active divers anywhere else on the internet. If you ask for opinions from ScubaBoard members, you will get it - both good and bad. Hang on and enjoy the ride!!!

scubatoys:

Larry, I respect your professional opinion as much as anyone in the industry, so I ask you, simply out of curiosity, will you be making this reg, fin, or BC YOUR personal choice?

I haven't seen any of these products in person, but I will try to find someone around Tampa Bay who is carrying them...

Best regards,

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom