Wrecks in Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
i am just as confused as the next person in trying to navigate around this site!!
neways, if anybody has personal experience in the wrecks located in aruba, i would be interested in hearing back...scheduled to go there in may...

reg's on~

jan

neptunes goddess:
i am just as confused as the next person in trying to navigate around this site!!
neways, if anybody has personal experience in the wrecks located in aruba, i would be interested in hearing back...scheduled to go there in may...

reg's on~

jan

The "big wrecK' in Aruba is the Antilla. It's the "Must do" wreck. Try to dive it more than once to see it all.

It's a 400' German freighter that was sunk at the start of WWII by it's German crew while at anchor in 55 feet of water in order to keep it from falling into "enemy hands". The wreck protrudes the surface. You can easily swim into the cargo holds and out between the "ribs" of the ships hull which have deteriorated in several places. The wreck is located on the North West side of the island, but most any boat will do trips to it.

Another wreck that is dived often is what's left of the Pedernalis. It was torpedo'd by a German sub in WWII and was brought up into 10-20 feet of water to try to salvage it. the middle torpedo'd section was cut out and the other two ends were welded back together and the ship was then actually used in the D-Day invasion in Normandy years later. What I thought makes this dive neat was all the sea life on it. It was great for taking camera pics as the fish all were "friendly" as the snorkle boats feed them. The shallow depths make this a great beginner, certification, or refresher dive but some might not like it's "shallow depth". If's not overly exciting as all the ships compartments have collasped and you really can't tell it's much of a ship left. Just a good shallow or photo dive.

There is a 100' oil freighter sunk in about 65 feet also right on the edge of Malmook Reef also. Nothing fancy, but it's a wreck. (If it's not on Malmook reef then it was on Arashi reef). Also some parts of an airplane (engine and wing parts) near by.

There are a few sunk wrecks on the south coast, but didn't dive those.

The wreck of the California is on the coast north of the light house, but it's pretty rough water and I think you'd have to do a private charter to get a boat to go to it. (And no it's not the same California ship that didn't answer the Titanic rescue call as some of the travel guides say. This California sank in the 1800's, long before the Titanic ever set sail. So don't let the tourist guides fool ya).

So check out the Antilla and maybe the Pedernalis.

email/PM if you have questions.

-mike

I have dove both the Antilla and the Debbie II twice.

The Antilla is just a skeleton now, lying on her starboard side. However, it's got a lot of great and safe penetration areas, and tons of fish. The shallow depth makes for a long bottom time. Usually a very mild current on the sight, and vis is about 50' on a good day.

The Debbie II is a small island cargo boat. It's a fun wreck, sitting upright in 70'. Both times I've been there, there has been a huge moray living in the piping on the foredeck. The hold is small, but open on top, and usually has a school of fish lurking in the shadows. This is a pretty wreck, in good shape, and a good dive. My first time on the wreck it was covered in a whole school of young barracuda. Made for an interesting dive, always looking up at this cloud of teeth...

Aruba is supposed to be great wreck diving. I'm hoping to go there next spring and check out several of the other wrecks. I've heard the California is a good dive, but tough conditions, and the Pedernalis is supposed to be excellent. I have not done any of these wrecks though. Bad timing so far.

Dive the Sonesta.

It's an airplane wreck. It's broken into several pieces now, but it's still very interesting. You can even pier right into the cockpit.

Michael

It now also has another plane that has just been placed there in great shape I got some really great shots there I dove with Clive Paula from Dive Aruba
He dives all the wrecks on the island on the south side along with all the different reefs
I just got back on Sun and got 10 dives in with Him AWSOME :10:

Here are some of my wreck pictures from my Feb 27 -march 6 Trip

spstar:
It now also has a MD 80 that has just been placed there in great shape . . .
The 'plane in the pic has the wrong engine configuration for an MD80. Any other suggestions? HS 748 possibly?

Nice pictures SPSTAR! I just got back from Aruba yesterday. I too dove with Clive (10 dives in all) and had a great time. Dive Aruba is the best dive company on the island.

Back
Top Bottom