1/2 inch or 3/4 inch loc-line for strobe arm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Indigo Scuba Africa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi

What gauge loc-line works best - 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch? I want something that is flexible!

I have a strobe which is really light (Sea and Sea YS17) - it weighs just under 500g with batteries.

Any idea on how to attach it to a YS strobe?

Thanks!
:wink:

Get the adapter shown in this kit? Or the whole kit?

gb.fix.36.jpg

Fisheye Loc-line Arm for FIX HG20DX or YS Strobes [fix.ll] - $39.95 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

For a small strobe 1/2 inch will probably do the trick, but for stability I use 3/4 inch. Strobe adapters as shown in the pic are available locally (DIY, but they work !). Loc-line is available locally as well.

Have to run right now, I will have a look at pics of the strobe later to see if the adapters will fit.

Go with the 3/4. I use it on my Inon D180. It's not quite stiff enough above water to hold up the Inon but underwater it's fine. I suspect the 1/2 is a little too small for the job.

Thanks! And thanks very much Andy!

:D

I bought the 1/2 inch Loc-Line from Toolquip in Maitland last week as that is what I have seen a few of our buddies using and Toolquip said that is what everyone was buying.... after doing some further research many people elsewhere say they are using the 3/4 inch....as the 1/2 inch was too weak.

I will be attaching this to the new Ikelite tray and handle. I think the connectors for the YS strobe and Ike handle only fit the 3/4 inch loc-line so might need to take the smaller one back and get the bigger one....

Would love to know where to get the adaptors, Andy?

Any help would be great before I totally get all the wrong stuff!

Thank you!

OK, so I have an Ikelite tray with quick-release handle, the YS Strobe and 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch loc-line.

I have the adaptors - SA-100 ball with stem (9571.3 which is 1 inch) for Ikelite quick release handle to loc-line; and 9577.71 for loc-line to YS strobe (1 inch). The adaptors are both too small for the 3/4 inch locline and too big for the 1/2 inch locline.

Did I get the wrong adaptors or am I being stupid somehow? Anyone have any advice? AndyT is a star in trying to find local information, but if anyone else out there has advice... please let me know?!!

Thank you!

I'm totally clueless when it comes to Ikelite adapters but it appears from this chart that you bought adapters to mount ULCS arms to/from your strobe/tray. Strobe Arm Systems

Strobe Arm Component Parts
Note that many components are available with either SA-100 size 2.5cm (1") balls or SA-125 size 3.2cm (1.25") balls. Please pay particular attention to ball diameter required when ordering. Use 2.5cm (1") components with Ultralight or TLC arm systems.
Anything that says SA100/125 in the description is for a ULCS arm not loc-line.

I think you need 9573.3 for the tray to loc-line connection. What you need on the other end is the adapter shown in the above right corner of the photo in my post above - in the correct loc-line diameter.

It doesn't appear that Ikelite sells one.

This looks to be one also: Loc-Line to YS-mount.
#01.780 (Mfr. GreenForce) - Attaches Sea & Sea to Loc-Line.
Cameras Underwater: Lighting bracket components.

The item below it - (Greenforce connector loc-line to 1" ball Loc-Line to Ball #01.832) would adapt your 9577.71 to loc-line.

Last edited:
Hi All

It's fixed! I got home and my hubby had taken the connectors in to have the balls machined. They now fit nice and snugly in the 1/2 inch locline.

Even with a 500gr strobe, this stuff is very "floppy" out of the water and I'll be interested to see how it performs underwater tomorrow.

Would still be interested in finding out more about 3/4 inch locline and how to connect it to my setup though if anyone has any ideas! Just in case...

Thank you!
:)

Backscatter sells a kit with a short length of locline 3/4", a locline base and screw for the bottom and a Sea & Sea strobe connector that hooks to the locline. They use genuine locline. I think I paid $39.95 for the kit. Don't get the fisheye one in the previous post. They don't use real locline. Their stuff is a little larger and fits all floppy. Locline fits nice and tight. I've got about 2 feet of it on each strobe and underwater it stays put unless bumped. Topside, it is indeed floppy. Drill the top and bottom ends for safety wire or fishing line and run it through the middle. The locline can pop apart if you stress it or someone grabs your rig by the strobe. I don't have too much problem because I use a hardwired cord, not an optical cable, but if you use optical there is nothing to stop your whole rig from floating into the abyss if someone grabs it wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom