1/2 inch or 3/4 inch loc-line for strobe arm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My apologies if my information is out of date, Ryan. The Fisheye flex arms that I purchased from Reef several months ago for my MDX-D300 were loc-line replica, not the genuine article. They didn't fit as tightly and don't mate with genuine loc-line. It fits quite loosely. Real loc-line says loc-line on each link. I spent an extra $40.00 last week to purchase the Backscatter unit so I could get a proper fitting strobe adapter and additionally, I added some loc-line links that I had on hand to lengthen the arms some. I have always received excellent service from Reef and expect to in the future as well. Mine came with a fitting for the Sea & Sea "T" base, which since it had a slightly larger ball end fits quite tightly in the genuine loc-line 3/4" links. Unfortunately, the strobe end is female and fit even looser on the loc-line than it did on the original material.

Double apologies for my faulty memory. I looked up my purchase to be sure, and though I had looked at the Fisheye version first, the one I ended up purchasing was an Epoque, because they had a longer section available. The fisheye kit looks just like the one I got at Backscatter, although they had their name on it. The parts appear the same. Mea Culpa.

The various ¾” components that are available from Locline are here:
The Original Modular Hose System | Loc-Line - Three Quarter Inch
I used the mount base and the Shield elbow mount, but before using them, I filled the centers with a two part epoxy to densify the mounts and give a stronger bolt hole. Once the epoxy was cured I drilled the required holes and used stainless steel bolts.

Also, put one or two small holes in the lower and upper sockets so that they will drain easily. If you don’t sooner or later they will drain as you have the camera housing open, which will most likely result in a new camera or a new camera and housing if you can’t find a camera to fit your housing.

Thanks for the clarification Larry. No worries, it is extremely confusing with the OEMing, Rebranding, cross labeling, at al that occurs.

Thanks for the feedback on the Epoque arm, I haven't heard that, but we were only recommending them for very small strobes and lights. We have since discontinued them to streamline our product line and only offer the package linked above.

The various ¾” components that are available from Locline are here:
The Original Modular Hose System | Loc-Line - Three Quarter Inch
I used the mount base and the Shield elbow mount, but before using them, I filled the centers with a two part epoxy to densify the mounts and give a stronger bolt hole. Once the epoxy was cured I drilled the required holes and used stainless steel bolts.

I hope you're still following this thread, Gilldiver....

Do you mean that you use the Shield elbow mount as sort of a YS-type mount?

I hope you're still following this thread, Gilldiver....

Do you mean that you use the Shield elbow mount as sort of a YS-type mount?

I don't know what a YS type mount is but will get a photo of what I did up this weekend.

YS type mount is the piece shown in the kit above that connects the locline to the Sea & Sea type strobe mount. When I started using locline arms, I made an end out of a locline L-mount by putting epoxy in it and mounting a bolt in the center, using a spacer between the two sides of the strobe mount to keep from cracking it. The YS mounts work a lot better, but you have to either buy a kit with it or find one separate. They're about $20-30 bucks, but worth it to me.

I'd love to see photos of a Sea & Sea strobe mount made from a Loc-line "L-mount" (as Larry C refers to) or Shield elbow mount (as mentioned by Gilldiver) or a nozzle adapter as I read somewhere from another user. I'm having a hard time picturing the modification. However, I'm intrigued, as I'm having an even harder time picturing myself shelling out the bucks for a real YS adapter when I'm getting everything else I need from Modular Hose.

Has anyone sourced another supplier for the 3/4" Loc-Line adapters? Specifically the 3/4" Loc-Line to YS strobe mount and a LL mount to an Ikelite quick release handle.

It's hard to see paying almost $50 for a single Greenforce adapter to mount the flexarm to the handle and then another $50 to mount the strobe. Flex arms and adapters They do look nice though. I know both Epoque and 10 Bar make a flexarm to YS mount but am unsure if their dimensions are compatible with the Loc-Line parts. Can anyone comment?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom