1 or 2 piece wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfpaul

New
Reaction score
I'm just curious what the difference/benefit is between a 1 piece and a 2 piece wetsuit.

I'm getting certified next month and am just looking at gear. I know I don't need a suit as I can always get it as part of a rental package, but there are also some good deals on lightly used suits so if I come across one, i'd rather have my own if it's in good shape. but, I see some that are one piece and some that are two piece yet I have no idea what the benefit is of one versus the other.

Any insight? I'll be using a 7mm for my area if that matters.

Thanks

Michael

For something that thick I personally prefer 2 piece for versatility. One piece is nice because you're less likely to have gaps where you can get seepage, but I think 2 piece is the bees knees with respect to being versatile. Being able to wear one part of the kit in warmer temps and then layer for colder water is very nice.

I will recommend getting a hood either way you decide as it makes a huge difference in comfort.

It depends. For Northern California, I use a 9/7/6mm one piece wetsuit with seals on ankles, wrists, chest zipper and integrated hood (9mm across the chest). I also use a 7mm two piece Farmer John with integrated hood (14mm across the chest) and seals on wrists, ankles, face.

The one piece uses about 3lbs less weight on my belt and is less restricting. I prefer the one piece for comfort and easy of getting into.

Both of these suits may be uncomfortable for Southern California diving too warm.

In any suit look for things like seals around ankles, wrists, face, knee protection, seams are properly stitched and sealed, integrated hood if for cold water.

I was diving California and Florida in the same week. I took my two-piece 7 mm wetsuit - wore both pieces in CA, top only in FL. I could have brought my 3mm suit, but I didn't have to.

For cold stuff I prefer 2 piece 7mm farmer johns.
Ideally though, I'd go with a 7mm ish full suit, then get a 5mm hooded vest. Gets the benefit of the full suit and farmer john, and I HATE hoods... The neck's are just a paid in the butt

For most of our diving in S. Cal the 7mm 1-piece is the norm. 2 piece suits were necessary for most of our Pacific diving dating clear back to the 60's. Neoprene was such that the suits didn't and couldn't fit the body very well, leaving large pockets between the shoulders, at the waist, under the armpits, ect where cold water would get. The body can only keep up with keeping so much water heated and without the extra layers of insulation we'd all be very cold in a hurry.

Over the years, through today, the manufacturers of neoprene have introduced materials that are a great deal more pliable and elastic. Couple that with manufacturing that is often a lot more similar to regular garment manufacturing than it has ever been, we get suits that are far more form fitting to our bodies. The more form fitting the suit, the thinner the layer of water inside the suit that our body is keeping warm. All those factors in mind it is far easier today to keep warm in a 1-piece suit than it used to be "way back when" in those older 2-peice suits.

Add to that the buoyancy characteristics and for most of us here it's a pretty easy choice.

Last edited:
The 1 piece jump suits with stretch materials are very comfortable, easy to don/doff, fit well and are warm in shallow to moderate depths since they have very little leakage. However, once you get down past 80' or so they really compress a lot and loose much more of their insulating abilities.

My older, stiffer FJ+Jacket is a lot warmer at depth. Its a pain to don/doff, it is more restrictive and takes a few more lbs of lead, but it is sometimes worth the effort for deep cold dives.

Well,

I have a 7 mm overall with a separate hood. In addition, and for most lakes around here, I have a 5 mm ice west with a hood.
The combination is very flexible and fits quite a lot of different water temperatures. I did about 100 dives in that combination and did not regret it.

If you have the chance, try to rent a few different ones and get the most comfortable one.
Oh, the integrated hood on the ice vest keeps a lot of the water from rushing into your suit if you move your head.

I'm in the Buffalo NY area and up here and in Canada we like our 7mm Farmer Johns you can add a hooded vest to this set up but I don't like it, too restrictive. I gave it to my son. With a 7mm hood I'm comfortable with water in the high 40s low 50s. The only spot that's cold are my lips...
In the tropics I wear a 3mm full jump suit. I don't like the shortys, I've seen people get stung on thier exposed legs. I might get a hood or a beanie for our liveaboard trip.

As a cold water wetsuit I prefer a full suit with a vest. I feel it has the same coverage but better sealing than a John/Jane & jacket with a bibbed hood.

A full suit and a hooded step-in vest is the next best thing to being dry

More here.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom