1 st time to Bonaire, advise and dive buddy, March 1-8 th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They did mention that and I'm not.
Unless you have some experience with a redundant air supply as well as the planning and risk management associated with solo diving I really think you should find yourself a buddy. If you are keen on solo diving, take a course, get some experience and dive safe.

Depends on your level of comfort. When I solo in Bonaire (and I`ve done it a LOT) I just grab a tank or two and head out. Never been questioned. If asked just say you are meeting someone. As far as a redundant air supply is concerned, I don`t use one. I make sure my equipment is top notch and pay very close attention to my air. The other thing is to stay within a breath of the surface. There is almost nowhere on Bonaire where you can`t enjoy the reefs at 35 ft or shallower. But like I said that depends on your comfort level and experience. Enjoy Bonaire!

I have to ask: Do folks really think it is appropriate to encourage others to dive solo when they have no experience doing so?

I don’t think the aim is so much to encourage the diver to do it, as to be aware it’s an option. Whether or not it’s right for a given diver is a decision he or she has to make. If you determine it to be right for you, you may not have to settle for Big Brother telling you ‘no.’ Especially in Bonaire.

Now, if the contention is that solo diving can only be appropriate if formally trained and certified to do so, that is a topic to be hashed out in another thread, I imagine.

For people who don’t believe that to be the case, if one is to solo dive, it has to start somewhere. I imagine for some that’s Bonaire.

IMHO, one would reasonably draw the conclusion that the OP was being encouraged to dive solo.

IMHO, disagree. Does everyone have to vote or can we all agree some would agree to disagree agreeably and agree to "move along, nothing to see here?" (Alas, probably not...:confused:)

IMHO, disagree. Does everyone have to vote or can we all agree some would agree to disagree agreeably and agree to "move along, nothing to see here?" (Alas, probably not...:confused:)

I would agree with that

They did mention that and I'm not.

And the OP may not like to dive alone.

Good point.

...so what is my best way to hook up with a partner(s) to enjoy my first time there?

What I would do, gain information without compromising my position in case I decide to do solo covertly once on-island:

1.) Post here, like you've done, in case anyone knows whether there's a 'looking for a buddy' board.

2.) Check availability and book some morning boat dives the first couple of days, try to 'hit it off' with some other divers on the boat, perhaps get invited along on some of their shore diving.

3.) Go get a temporary e-mail address to use to maintain anonymity, and contact Toucan Diving (their onsite dive services provider) without using your name (or use a fake one) or giving the dates you plan to be there. In fact, I'd probably write something like this:

Toucan Divers:
-----Hi. Planning a shore diving trip to Bonaire, and will travel alone. Considering a stay at the Plaza Resort, it checks some of the boxes I've got in mind, and I hear good things about Toucan Divers. I'm writing to find out how to go about this if I book with you.
-----I would be traveling alone. I know you have boat dive offerings. Do you have a 'looking for a buddy' sign up board for shore diving? How do lone divers connect there?
-----I'm told some people shore dive solo on Bonaire? Is there any policy issue about that? I'm also told there're 'Self-reliant' and 'Solo' courses; do you teach those?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Be sure to mix the words up enough it's not recognizable; stands to reason some staff at Toucan might visit the forum from time-to-time. The idea is to maximize your knowledge and options, while letting sleeping Big Brothers lie.

Back
Top Bottom