1 strobe or 2 strobes - DX-2G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the DX-2G and the YS110 (looks like they already replaced this strobe with the YS110a?)

Thinking about adding a 2nd strobe.

How many people use 1 strobe, how many use 2. If you use 2 do you always use 2 or is there times you leave the 2nd one back in your case?

Buy another YS110(a) or the YS250? Asking for trouble by not having matched strobes?

Hi Mike, I also started with one strobe and now have two. I am a believer that more light is better and offers the best lighting opportunities when shooting underwater. You might not two strobes when shooting macro but I use both anyway. My suggestion is get the second strobe and always use them.

Regards,

Bill

Initially, I was concerned about how bulky and difficult it would be to handle two strobes. However, I found out that it really isn't that difficult to handle underwater. After a few dives it is no more difficult to handle than one strobe.

Regards,

Bill

I only use 1, but my wife uses two! I have handled it underwater with both. I think it actually balances it out with two!

The general rule is... you can never have too many strobes, and you can never have too long of arms.

I usually use two strobes.. but in really bad vis, you will get less backscatter with one...

I've found the YS110's produce more than enough light, even when it is dark...and can be turned down and moved in for fairly close macro work. Do not believe that bigger is better.

Not sure what the life of these guys are, but if they burn out (would guess I have something over 10,000 flashes on them... maybe 15,000).. the replacements will be the YS110a's..

2 strobes are it.I had a dx 1g with two strobes and found it worth the while.You can be more creative positioning them differently thereby creating shadows and giving more depth to your photo's.
Ciao.
Ps.The 110a in ttl even with optic fiber worked quite well.

Back
Top Bottom