• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

10,000+ dives

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by northernone, Jun 15, 2017.

1. The Chairman

The Chairman Chairman of the Board

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    The first rule of diving applies: Don't hold your breath! :D :D :D

Akimbo and northernone like this.
  2. cerich

cerich ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    let me quote the entire paragraph, I addressed your counterpoint

"even counting class dives.. that is 3 dives a day (often 2) say every weekend. That won't even break 300 and if they fun dive another 200 a year they are still looking at well over 20 years at that pace to break 10K. If they count pool sessions even still would take a decade plus..and who counts pool sessions as logged dives (cue the list)"

3. Akimbo

Akimbo Lift to Freedom Volunteer Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

Twenty years of diving isn't very long from my standpoint. I know divers that have been active longer than me and still travel to the tropics for month-long trips. No argument it is VERY rare, but doable so I'm not ready to leave an impression that a claim is, wrong, impossible, or misleading.

4. Bob DBF

Bob DBF Solo Diver

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I've been diving steadily for 54 years and I haven't hit 5000 yet and never will. Just trying to do 93 dives every single year might be possible, but it wasn't the way I have lived my life. No regrets and I managed to get in a lot of great dives dives.

I figure I've done well without being a dive professional, never living by warm water diving, and not having the cash to go on exotic dive vacations.

Bob

giffenk and northernone like this.
  5. Diver0001

Diver0001 Instructor, Scuba

I'm pretty sure that everyone I know who claims 10,000 dives have worked for extended periods of time non-stop in tropical resorts.

I'm not sure this measure really means much when you get to that level of repetitive diving. We had a discussion about this some years ago that got heated because someone on the board claimed considerably more than 10,000 dives and someone asked him if that was 10,000 dives or 1 dive that he did 10,000 times. He didn't take the question well but I think the point was valid. He was logging all of his confined dives regardless of depth or time under water because they were done in the ocean. To me that's kind of like logging pool dives as "real" scuba dives.... I personally wouldn't do it but I guess some people do.

R..

6. Trace Malinowski

Trace Malinowski Cave Instructor

# of Dives: 5,000 - ∞
    If someone told me that they could get attacked by a shark in their "confined water" environment, I'd say it was an "open water" dive. .

northernone likes this.
  7. Akimbo

We're on the same page:

I guess it is a mute point since anyone can just lie in their logbook. I've even heard that some divers actually exaggerate claims on the Internet... The Internet of all places. :shocked:

Unfortunately it takes a lot of reading in order to generate your "listen to this diver" or "maybe not so much" lists; but it ultimately becomes clear. Fortunately not much that is technically wrong or hazardous goes unchallenged for very long on Scubaboard.

Diver0001 likes this.
  8. Akimbo

Really? I'd say what the hell are you doing in there and not paying attention to that guy with the big teeth? :wink:

Edit:
    The optimist says the glass is half full
    The pessimist says the glass is half empty
    The engineer says the glass is too big
    The drunken diver says fill'er up​

Edit 2: Trace, it could be both. Ever been to a big aquarium?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  9. Steve_C

Steve_C Divemaster

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    That never occurred to me. :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

10. rhwestfall

rhwestfall Solo Diver

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    we actually say, "two times the size it should be..."

(unless a safety factor is necessary) :dork2:

txgoose and Akimbo like this.