10 Days, 2 Certs, 22 Dives - Mission Accomplished

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrydarc

Reaction score
A while back there was a discussion on the topic of concentrated training, like at a resort, vs. slow and easy, get-in-the-pool, get wet, here's BCD, this is a first stage and here's and octopus kind of approach. We've just finished the former - 10 days and BOW + AOW. It was definitely concentrated and after coming out of the 10 days, I'd guess we were better off than dragging it out. Whether that lasts or not is some question.

We worried about even getting to Honduras let alone dive due to Chantal. In the end only we missed one day due to windy conditions and still got some snorkelling in. Had the entire attention of the instructor, so I think that was an enoromous help. He was around 10-12 hours a day where we were staying, so you could look up from the PADI book and just ask a question any old time. Exams whenever my kid and I wanted them. OW now? Sure. Dive after lunch? Sure. That individual attention was certainly nice.

After the 4 OW dives, we had 18 more ranging from night dive at 25' (fascinating - always do a night dive if you can!) up to 115' deep dive for the AOW. Woooo...spooky down there in the deep, deep blue off the wall. Eerie, but wonderful. :eek:

I think there will be a couple of things I'll change for the next time blowing bubbles - definitely get the custom prescriptions (instead of these +3 diopters glue ons), at least get my own dive computer and fins. Regs?...probably...not sure yet...but maybe. Strobe for the camera and a bleepload more batteries and film. Practice photos first and try out any other new equipment.

But hey! We had a great time and the C Cards are in the mail! Don't know when the next dives will be, but as soon as the bank account settles down.
:bounce:
Terry

but wow quite a lot in 10 days. All the power to you. It would a great spot to learn. Interesting diving.

I have perscription lenses in my mask, they are great. I suppose laser surgery is better, ........ but until then.

Now you have to stay wet long and often.

Butch :peace:

...and all the diving. What will make the biggest difference in your future diving IMHO is how soon and how often you dive from this point on. Granted you probably won't be able to keep diving at this rate but definitely try not to let it turn into months or even years before you get wet again.

For me the best way to stay active in diving was to buy all the basic equipment. I don't have lift bags or reels or cameras etc but if I want to dive I have everything I need to get UW right now. No rental fees or arrangements to make just put it in the car and go.

Check out your local diving scene/community and build on the solid foundation you have established whilst basking in Honduras!!

Gotta agree with JBD after my OW I went out and bought my gear (did my research first) and then I knew that I couldn't find any excuss to not dive.

Best move I'd made in a long time.

Butch :peace:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom