10 Minute Water Tread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shotthebreeze

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys,

Only a few more weeks until my certification class! I have a quick question for you. I'm wondering about the 10 minute water tread/float, its pretty much the only thing left that I'm worrying about. What do you folks reccomend doing to conserve energy? I assume floating would be the easiest, but I'm sure there's going to be 6-7 other people splashing around trying to tread water. Are there any special techniques you guys used or any special ways to tread water that I should be aware of? I realize that your breathing technique has a lot to do with it. I'm sure 10 minutes won't be that bad. Thanks in advance for your input. :D

When I did mine I was in my wet suit so I just floated the whole time talking with the instructor....... If they let you wear your suit it will be a cakewalk...

I am surprised that your threading water was not done as a first drill in class.
The purpose to see and evaluate someone's swimming skills. I've had people take scuba lessons who did not know how to swim. I had another person have fear of putting their face in the water. The test you mention, quickly identifies (with some certainty) the type swimmer the instructor is dealing with.

Wearing a wetsuit is cheating. If some let it go by then so be it. Why not pretend we can swim for ten minutes?

If you wear a suit they should make you wear weights to counter its buoyancy.

Berdman:
When I did mine I was in my wet suit so I just floated the whole time talking with the instructor....... If they let you wear your suit it will be a cakewalk...

How exactly did they let you do this:confused: PADI standards for example require the student to be weighed to remain neutral if using an exposure suit in the confined water 10 minute threading water exercise.

Cheers.

-J.-

... I was worried about this part as well, I kept my lungs full, floated on my back quite a bit, floated vertically some, moved arms around a bit ... it went well, talked to the instructor to pass time .. It was way easier than I remember trying as a kid ... just relax and I bet you will do better than you think you can

PADI standards for example require the student to be weighed to remain neutral if using an exposure suit in the confined water 10 minute threading water exercise.
Wearing a wetsuit is cheating
.. really?? (I'm serious)
I'm not going in the water without a wetsuit and I would guess that In trouble, you are going to ditch your weights, but I think you would be keeping your wetsuit on

Officially:

Manual says:
During the float or swim, if
confined water conditions require
students to wear a buoyant
exposure suit, students must
weight themselves for neutral
buoyancy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom