10 years old scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wonder if you would have your 10 or 12 years old to jump out of a flying airplane as well, without being in an emergency?:idk:

Many poeple consider this to be big fun and an amazing experience as well.:D

Irony
Comic irony is speaking with a veiled meaning or an intended meaning that is opposite to or different from your words, aka dry humor. Sarcasm is a form of comic irony.

Sarcasm
Deriving from a Greek word meaning “to strip off the flesh,” sarcasm is caustic, cutting humor in the form of ironic praise, or speaking oppositely in order to wound.

My 10 year old did his OW referral dives last week in Negril, Jamaica followed by 35ft dives each day after that. I was a complete bag of nerves. I took video of each dive (not good video). He has always been comfortable in the water and I think that is key. The instructor and divemaster were amazing with him. Ear clearing was the hardest part and he figured it out by the 3rd day and just took his time. YouTube - Diving in Negril with my son

I watches several other young children trying to get certified and they either quit at the pool or the first time they jumped from the boat. The key is that you can not push your child. I told him that anytime he wants to quit and wait until he is older, then that is fine with me. I have never seen my son so happy!

Looks like he had fun in video,
Reminds me of my son,,,
He loves to dive I just have to limit it,, and common sense safety No#1

Some 10 year olds can physically and mentally handle the demands to do it safely. Others can't.

The same is true of teenagers and adults of course, but for some reason people are less enthusiastic about restricting access to people of full age.

People poke fun at crap tourist divers on boats, but the ones who scare me are the local fisherman who somehow get certified despite not being able to read or write and, well, let's just say don't exactly follow PADI standards in their diving careers.

My daughter certified two weeks after her 10th birthday. My son got certified a month after his 10 years old.

For the first 2 years, I dove with them all over the places, TX, FL, Aruba, Cozumel, Playa Del Carmen. The first 2 years we stayed above 40' at all time. Where do I get the 40' from? That is just their comfort level and my limit knowledge on the pressure to their bodies. So we decided to stay above 40'.

Now my daughter is 16, my boy is 15. Both of them have been with me on lots spearfishing trips here in Tampa. And we increase the max depth to 60'.

No problem with growth at all. My girl now is 5'5 and my boy is 5'6. Matter fact, I hope their growths slow down so I don't have to spend too much money on clothes!!! :).

I wanted to make sure that :

1. they enjoy diving, which they do
2. they have the mental capabilities to deal with diving , which they show they are capable of
3. and they can assist me/each other if/when stuff hits the fan, which we practice quite a bit when we were down.

Bottom line, it is up to the kids and the parents to make an assessment on if a 10 yrs old able to start OW. Mine did. Is yours able to do so? Again, only you can answer that.

We had the pool in the neighborhood, I picked up some outdated scott airpack bottles, had them tested, cleaned, and fitted with scuba valves. I made special
backpacks, and under very close parental supervision, had most of the kids in
hood diving. Kids do very well, they don't overthink it, and just have fun, adults
are a whole different story. Had a blast taking underwater pics of the kids, and
turning their parents on to them. My son was certified p.a.d.i. when he was
of age and still dives. That's my daughter at 6 yrs of age, doing the diving thing.
It was a very special time in their lives, and we have some great diving memories.

Attachments

• 014_14.jpg
    014_14.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 286
  • 015_15.jpg
    015_15.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 212
As most parents will tell you, every child is different emotionally and physically. My 4 children each matured at different rates. My three oldest are certified, but they certified at different ages....my oldest waited until she was 21 before she wanted to give it a try. My youngest is 10 now and he is not even close to being ready.

I just attended a DAN meeting where this topic was brought up. There is not enough known to determine if diving is a "bad" thing for children or not.

It IS known that the older you are, the more likely you are to die during a dive. Hmmm. :hmmm: Maybe we are doing this all backwards. Maybe it's the parents we should be worried about? :reaper: Just saying....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom