10 years old scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in answer to kids diving at a young age, i believe it all depends on how they were brought up.
my kids [4] were brought up on SCUBA and guns and how to use them.

as a NAVY diver all my kids walked,talked and ate DIVING all the time from day one. that was all we talked about all the time,,,so i started teaching my oldest son how to dive he was about 10 years old. then his brother wanted to learn,then their sister wanted learn then the baby wanted to learn,,so it was a continuation right on down to the youngest.

retired in 71' and bought into Key Largo Diving Hqtr. and continued teaching SCUBA to my kids
at their early age...

one photo was taken in 1970 in Key Largo with their m,f,and s.

the next one i took at the statue of Christ in Pennekamp Park in 1972 ,,,,ages were at that time

Bill was 14, Chris was 12, Sue was 10 and Connie was 8 years old. i cannot remember how long each had been diving but for a while,,,

and the last is my old dive boat "Good Time Charlie"

now my kids are grown and have kids,,,

so it has been a good life so far and more good things to come.

Attachments

• kids in 70.jpg
    kids in 70.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 339
  • kids n christ.jpg
    kids n christ.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 322
  • good time charlie.jpg
    good time charlie.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 155
My daughter is 10 years old. We try scuba this year, but the instructor says she is tool small for scuba. Is there any problem for the lungs at this age?
10x in advance
If there´s no physical impairment like patent oval foramen or any lung problem, I think it´s great if a kid can start at that age specially if she really wants. It can be a demanding and frustrating activity if her heart is not into it.
If she´s excited about it, I would recommend, as a PADI Instructor and in case you´re considering PADI, to certify her only as a PADI Scuba Diver which will enable her to dive to a maximum depth of 40 feet and always with a professional; that way, when she turns 15 she could update to PADI Open Water Diver. The reason? The theory. The theory for the PADI OWD course can be too abstract for a 10 years old as well as discouraging and uninteresting. Besides, as a PADI Scuba Diver there will always be someone planning the dive for her.
Eventually, she can study decompression theory and diving planning (tables) whenever she feels like it or when she updates to Open Water Diver.
I hope I was of some help to you.

Alejandro Fierro Vidal
Master Scuba Diver Trainer.

P.s. I have certified dozen of 10 years old kids and never heard lungs at that age were an issue; it´s just a matter of limiting the depth to 40 feet.

Back
Top Bottom