10 yr old dies in scuba diving accident - Utah

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My heart goes out to the boy's family, and know they will need all the support they can get. Hopefully the father was qualified to be instructing a 10 year old in scuba (can't really tell from the news report as to the father's certification level). Regardless, I would not wish that guilt trip on any parent.

That's terrible, could not imagine. I wonder if it's from 'the bends' or from possibly not 'exhaling' as he ascended?

That's terrible, could not imagine. I wonder if it's from 'the bends' or from possibly not 'exhaling' as he ascended?
From what the article say (and that’s not much) getting bent in 25’ is impossible.
Not exhaling causes the lungs to over inflate (barotrauma) is a real possibility or it may have been a drowning.

I was diving with my daughter today and my aspirations for the dive get smaller and smaller as I play things out in my head. I cannot imagine the guilt and pain the father is feeling,
Praying for the family.

From what the article say (and that’s not much) getting bent in 25’ is impossible.
Not exhaling causes the lungs to over inflate (barotrauma) is a real possibility or it may have been a drowning.
Other reports suggest the boy was diving using his fathers alternate air source and then detached.
Over expansion injury is highly possible.

That sucks! Prayers for the family and friends.
Very sad I feel for all involved, 10yrs old is far too young for diving in my opinion, I think even 12yrs in Australia too young..It's a lot of information for a 10yr old to absorb . Prayers to the family and friends

Back
Top Bottom