100% oxygen with mares regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

owlbill

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I saw at DEMA last year an MR12/Rebel combo that was 100% oxygen ready. They are in the catalog but are not available to us (I am aware there were only a few brought in). I asked Mares customer service today about cleaning a MR12 or MR22 and using the nitrox service kit but was told that Mares can only tell me that it can be used for 40% O2 max for liability reasons. This I can understand (kind of).

1. Could the liability not be passed on the the dive shops with different wording like "our parts and service kit components are O2 compatible, but proper cleaning is required to make the reg O2 clean/ready"?

2. There are still some of these MR12/Rebel 100% out there (like this on ScubaToys Mares Rebel 12 Nitrox Regulator, Mares ). If Mares cannot tell the shops that the service kit can be used for 100% oxygen, how will these regs be able to be serviced?

Just trying to get some better information as we are looking for an alternative to OMS for a deco reg for the high oxygen content mixes.

Thanks.
Bill

I saw at DEMA last year an MR12/Rebel combo that was 100% oxygen ready. They are in the catalog but are not available to us (I am aware there were only a few brought in). I asked Mares customer service today about cleaning a MR12 or MR22 and using the nitrox service kit but was told that Mares can only tell me that it can be used for 40% O2 max for liability reasons. This I can understand (kind of).

1. Could the liability not be passed on the the dive shops with different wording like "our parts and service kit components are O2 compatible, but proper cleaning is required to make the reg O2 clean/ready"?

2. There are still some of these MR12/Rebel 100% out there (like this on ScubaToys Mares Rebel 12 Nitrox Regulator, Mares ). If Mares cannot tell the shops that the service kit can be used for 100% oxygen, how will these regs be able to be serviced?

Just trying to get some better information as we are looking for an alternative to OMS for a deco reg for the high oxygen content mixes.

Thanks.
Bill

Hi Bill,

You have a couple of good questions. Sorry there is a little miscommunication. This should clear it up.
  • Mares regs are nitrox compatible upto but not more than 40% O2 out of the box in North America; exception Rebel 12 "Nitrox" regulator is 100% compatible out of the box.
  • Mares Nitrox kits installed with proper regulator cleaning by a trained technician will result in a regulator compatible with 100% O2.
  • We did make some Rebel 12 Nitrox regs available to S. Toys. We still have some and a Mares dealer has the capacity to acquire these regulators by speaking with their District Sales Manager.
  • Once our current inventory of Rebel 12 Nitrox regulators are sold; this will most likely be last of them in the U.S.
  • Note these Rebel 12 Nitrox regulators come in a DIN configuration.
Best regards,

Thanks Zak. That does help.

I see only a nitrox service kit for the MR22 type first stages. Perhaps I missed the MR12 kit.

The main question I has was about cleaning/converting for 100% and you answered it. Now I just need to go back to my service manual and check service kit numbers.

I will talk to Peter about the regs. DIN is preferred anyway.

Thanks,
Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom